Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 10:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times

Advertisements

Last edited by randomparent; 09-29-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
(Chuckle): Two 34" WS monitors. One i7 quad core w/16gb RAM. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. Pixel XL. Surface 3 Pro w/8GB RAM. All within 3' at the moment, other than the tab which is charging elsewhere.

That's pretty typical for me, 14 hrs/day weekdays, somewhat less on weekends. That's probably way up from ten or even five years ago.

The previous phone self-destructed with a hardware error I could not fix maybe a month ago, stuck on boot cycle. It took them a week to replace, which was weird. I use Google Fi and ran my "calls" through WiFi and the Samsung tablet. Barely missed not having a phone, I'm rarely called by anyone I give a **** about. I explained to four people what happened, none called, there was thus no drama.

Had that happened when traveling, I'd have been mad since going back to paper for boarding passes or not having Maps would infuriate me.

So all that said, I don't find the above stifling, depressing, irritating, or anything else of the sort. I feel great, don't care how I look or what anyone else thinks, and have a great view during work hours on my direct right (my front yard, which is pine trees, my maple, and a plum).

I had a tech-free weekend in 2003 or so, I remember it well, mostly because none of it worked well as it could back then (no cell phone, desktop computers (2x)). I wrenched on motorcycles the whole weekend and read paper books, sun up to sun down. One person showed up to the house, assuming I was dead or in jail, to which I informed him otherwise. These days, like I said I'd ping four people to "please leave me alone for the weekend" if I cared, and they would: they're great like that.

Don't care, won't do it personally. I have a birthday coming up, which is going to be me, a r/t train ticket, a nice new camera, pack, and little else. Might need an international SIM card, come to think of it. I'll figure that last part out via another portion of the forum.

You do, so you should disconnect? Take a weekend camping somewhere? I did that with my hippie girlfriend a year ago, and had a good enough time up in rural WA State (most of it is quite rural).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology