Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 AM

164 posts, read 175,314 times

Advertisements

I don't see much discussion anymore about anorexia or bulimia but I do see a lot of discussion about transgender.

Has the transgender phenomena replaced anorexia and bulemia?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
No.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
I don't see much discussion anymore about anorexia or bulimia but I do see a lot of discussion about transgender.

Has the transgender phenomena replaced anorexia and bulemia?

You have not been looking in the right places.

To the Bone (2017) - IMDb

Recent Netflicks movie on this topic.

In terms of media coverage I get what you are saying.

Transgenders issues have become a hot topic over the last few years.

The other topic is ongoing and media coverage relating to it spikes up and then declines at times usually related to celebrity melt downs relating to it.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Are you suggesting that the same people who once would have developed an eating disorder are now developing gender dysphoria?

That is a rather... unique...hypothesis. How did you arrive at it? What proofs have you considered?

Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you suggesting that the same people who once would have developed an eating disorder are now developing gender dysphoria?

That is a rather... unique...hypothesis. How did you arrive at it? What proofs have you considered?
No, I'm not suggesting any such thing. I'm suggesting that there may be a trend for young people to develop illnesses that give them attention. I don't see any over 30 year olds suddenly developing anorexia or bulemia. It seems to me to be a lot of attention and television shows about young people who are transgender. I'm wondering if the people who have anorexia or bulemia survive their illnesses and go on to be productive adults or do they die from their sickness. If they die, maybe transgender doesn't kill you, but it gets you just as much attention.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM

581 posts, read 456,677 times
It definitely seems to be the new "cool thing" for yuppie parents who want to show how trendy and progressive they are. A year-old girl yanks a ribbon out of her hair and all of a sudden she's choosing to be a boy.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:17 PM

I have to agree with you. I asked about a parent who I thought was purposely bringing up her son to be gay. Although many would say what is wrong with that, I say why?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Your hypothesis is that "young people develop disorders for attention?"

Old 08-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
No, I'm not suggesting any such thing. I'm suggesting that there may be a trend for young people to develop illnesses that give them attention. I don't see any over 30 year olds suddenly developing anorexia or bulemia. It seems to me to be a lot of attention and television shows about young people who are transgender. I'm wondering if the people who have anorexia or bulemia survive their illnesses and go on to be productive adults or do they die from their sickness. If they die, maybe transgender doesn't kill you, but it gets you just as much attention.
I guess you could have googled to learn that some 6% of people with eating disorders die from it. It is the most deadly mental illness, more so than schizophrenia.

You would also have learned that eating disorders are on the rise throughout the world, so why you imagine they are not as prevalent... I don't know. Where are your data from? Please don't say popular media and entertainment.

Another key point. While eating disorders can be developed as a response to trauma or other mental disorders, gender is not determined to be "developed" in the same way. Gender is very deeply ingrained in the brain function.

However, you can thank your pop media and entertainment data-gathering for any impression you have that it is more prevalent than 30 or more years ago, when it began being studied and written about in medicine, science and sociology.

As for attention seeking, people of all genders do that. But I am wondering if you think people with mental illness are seeing attention also?

Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
It definitely seems to be the new "cool thing" for yuppie parents who want to show how trendy and progressive they are. A year-old girl yanks a ribbon out of her hair and all of a sudden she's choosing to be a boy.
Can you give an example from your own experience or from media reporting that parents are doing this as a new "cool thing"? Even one parent?

Your perceptions of how average people live and parent seems to be pretty...out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology