Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
.......Now, imagine if Euope decided it was okay for citizens to have those tools...the number of victims would grow exponentially........
Gosh, I hate to pop your balloon, but it is easy to get a gun in Europe. It is legal to have a gun in Europe as long as proper procedures are followed.

Terrorists are well stocked with guns. They use truck attacks and bombs both to maximize the death toll and to maximize the terror effect.

It's not like there haven't been terrorist attacks with guns in Europe, particularly in France. Remember Charlie Hebdo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Don't care. But, I also don't carry.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Anytime I don't have a gun, I am aware that I have placed myself in danger. That shouldn't happen in this country as the Second Amendment gives us an absolute right to carry the weapons of our choice. Local, state, and federal laws which limit our right are unconstitutional—and, therefore, irrelevant.

My general rule is that if I can't go armed, I don't go.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Gosh, I hate to pop your balloon, but it is easy to get a gun in Europe. It is legal to have a gun in Europe as long as proper procedures are followed.

Terrorists are well stocked with guns. They use truck attacks and bombs both to maximize the death toll and to maximize the terror effect.

It's not like there haven't been terrorist attacks with guns in Europe, particularly in France. Remember Charlie Hebdo?

It's easy if you belong to the organized crime, which is only a small part of all criminals. The average Eupean criminal has no easy access to guns.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Bad guys will always and everywhere be bad guys. It's human nature.

In Europe, most bad guys dont have guns. Okay, a few of them do have them, but they are not common criminals, they are mafia types, involved in bank robberies or high profile crime.

If a bad guy in Europe, armed or unarmed, does what bad guys do, he'll know that with a 99.9 per cent probability his victim will have no gun. Therefore the violence of the interaction will be lower. (statistically speaking, of course). Do your bad guy business quick and leave. Nobody dies.

In the US, most bad guys have guns. When he commits a crime, he'll know his victim is very likely to have a gun, and very likely to use it against him. What sort of effect do you think this piece of data will have in the mind of the bad guy and the level of viciousness in his attack?
That's actually not true.

He doesn't KNOW his intended victim will have a gun. He hopes not because bad guys prey on the weak. They want an easy target that they will have to expend minimal effort on. The knowledge that their victim is armed will be enough of a deterrent for them to move on to a victim that is not armed because they don't want to risk it.. Remember, they want EASY.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
That's actually not true.

He doesn't KNOW his intended victim will have a gun. He hopes not because bad guys prey on the weak. They want an easy target that they will have to expend minimal effort on. The knowledge that their victim is armed will be enough of a deterrent for them to move on to a victim that is not armed because they don't want to risk it.. Remember, they want EASY.

They want easy, I agree. And what's more easy than pulling a trigger? Do you think a guy who breaks in somebody's house is gonna take any risk?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Anytime I don't have a gun, I am aware that I have placed myself in danger. That shouldn't happen in this country as the Second Amendment gives us an absolute right to carry the weapons of our choice. Local, state, and federal laws which limit our right are unconstitutional—and, therefore, irrelevant.

My general rule is that if I can't go armed, I don't go.

Thanks, Happy, you are the only one who has been really honest so far.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
They want easy, I agree. And what's more easy than pulling a trigger? Do you think a guy who breaks in somebody's house is gonna take any risk?
You're missing the point.

By "easy" I meant they also want drama free.. And no, he doesn't want any risk at all.. He wants to break in, steal the stuff, rape the women, and be gone. And like I said, they won't break into a house if they think the person inside is armed. Not if they can break into another house where someone isn't.. No risk, right?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
You're missing the point.

By "easy" I meant they also want drama free.. And no, he doesn't want any risk at all.. He wants to break in, steal the stuff, rape the women, and be gone. And like I said, they won't break into a house if they think the person inside is armed. Not if they can break into another house where someone isn't.. No risk, right?

There's a gun in most US houses...how can they know which ones are gun free? Each time they break in house they take a gamble. A guy suffering drug withdrawal will break in the White House if he thinks he'll be able to score... drug addiction stops at nothing.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
There's a gun in most US houses...
No there isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology