Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 09:00 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times

Advertisements

I love Community, the series. One day my ex told me she liked this musician "Childish Gambino". I checked him out, and guess what, the guy is an actor from Community, I had no idea he was also a singer.

My ex didnt have a clue he was a actor. She introduced Childish Gambino into my life, I introduced Community into hers...

Fastforward until now...no more relationship, and I cant stand the thought of listening to Childish Gambino. Nothing against him...he's a great guy, but I cant just listen to him anymore.

Community is different though, I watched it before I met her and still love it.

Did something like that happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Yes!

One of my favorite bands is Little Feat. I've liked them ever since the late 70's, and long before I started dating this guy, Hank.

Hank and I went to a Little Feat concert, and Hank bought me a their latest CD (at the time).

Hank goes weird, we break up...and I just don't care for THAT CD. Don't like the songs from THAT CD anymore. All the songs on that CD remind me of that period of my life, and reminds me of him, which I don't really want to remember or dwell on.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I love Community, the series. One day my ex told me she liked this musician "Childish Gambino". I checked him out, and guess what, the guy is an actor from Community, I had no idea he was also a singer.

My ex didnt have a clue he was a actor. She introduced Childish Gambino into my life, I introduced Community into hers...

Fastforward until now...no more relationship, and I cant stand the thought of listening to Childish Gambino. Nothing against him...he's a great guy, but I cant just listen to him anymore.

Community is different though, I watched it before I met her and still love it.

Did something like that happen to you?
There are certain things, songs, places, movie etc that trigger memories of my ex. I am trying to reclaim them as my own.

People you interact closely with often introduce you to things and vice verse. Don't over think it.

No one tells you in advance how painful it is going to be when someone you fall head over heels in love with leaves your life. Likely because it is undescribably painful.

I started working in a part of the city that my ex and me had some really memorable moments in and at first it was really sad walking by these places remembering how in love we where. It was making me really sad and really questing if it was all fake or in my head beacuse things did not work out. There is no point going back there.... the moment has past and it is OVER. Now I am reclaiming these things and making new memories in these spots and letting go. Life is always evolving and changing. The moment has past. Time to make new moments.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Back when I was younger and more hormonal I had to change the music I listened to after a breakup. It was particularly bad when "our song" played. For the first few weeks after a breakup I always switched from rock to classical, particularly Beethoven. It's simple; I have few emotional ties to classical music (I just like it because it's melodic) while I have strong emotional ties to rock and many other types of more energetic music (pop, heavy metal, blues, etc.).

A bit different subject: One thing I've noticed about my life in general is that when I'm having good times I love really intense rock, metal, etc. and when driving I play it loud. During bad times I my life I listen to talk radio. I think it's a bit more of the same. Listening to great music tunes me in and rocks me out. Listening to talk radio numbs me. — I've recently had the epiphany that maybe it works both ways! I've been listening to talk radio (and getting more bummed out by the day) and decided to switch to music and picked the local Jack FM outlet: they play "a wide mix of songs from the late 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s along with some current adult contemporary/hot adult contemporary singles." I really like the mix because they play a lot of songs from my past that I'm familiar with, but they mix it in with recent music that gives me new material to listen to. It's too soon to say but I think the lively music is improving my mood.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Music is a mighty powerful tool associated with memories and how we move forth when someone leaves our lives.

My husband once worked for a man that I disliked so much I almost hated him (all the employees wives felt that way). He was a huge Jimmy Buffet fan. Until then I liked Jimmy Buffet; after learning that the sob likes him, I can no longer listen to a Jimmy Buffet song. Makes me cringe.

I also hate Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' album because it was the only rock album that my first husband really enjoyed and he listened to it only when he was really stoned. I couldn't stand him when he was stoned, and I can't listen to anything from it.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I listen to today's music. I don't even remember what was current back then.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
Oh yes! My not quite yet ex was very into Depeche Mode. So, so many of their songs are, to me anyway, very sensual and intense. When he and I were in a better relationship place I would just devour those songs.

Now that those times are rare I can't even.... I have a variety of different playlists on my tablet and if one comes up I skip over it.

Javier77, CG is very interesting. He comes up on a streaming music channel I have quite often and I've enjoyed the sidebars about him.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:12 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
I dont avoid songs just because they were songs i liked when i liked the ex... but i do avoid songs that person liked... cause they liked it and there's something about them i dont like ... so the song is probably related to their personality... right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology