Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:15 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,817 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not referring to the ones who bellyache about life not being fair.

I'm referring to those who bellyache about the ones who bellyache about life not being fair while labeling them "entitled".

It's not a mystery that over time we strive to improve our circumstances in life. My life is arguably better than my grandparents' lives. Their lives were arguably better than their grandparents' lives. But that's not to say that we have eradicated all issues in society. New problems replace old problems, and people complain or promote ideas to improve upon those problems. And yet, these people striving for improvements get labeled everything under the sun, from entitled to lazy and anything else that describes them as wanting more or the same without the pain and suffering.

What's with this obsession to keep things the way they are or even worse off? Who are these people who want their childrens' or grandchildrens' lives to not improve? And what gives them the idea that these people don't want to work for these improvements?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,664 times
You must be referring to Millennials & Gen Z who are mad a Boomers for hogging all the good stuff

Old 02-23-2022, 07:05 PM

230 posts, read 165,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
What's with this obsession to keep things the way they are or even worse off? Who are these people who want their childrens' or grandchildrens' lives to not improve? And what gives them the idea that these people don't want to work for these improvements?
I think you might be mixing up the reasons. I suspect that wanting to see the lives of the next generation improve is the general feeling. But it is balanced, in at least some people, by a desire to see their own lives not get worse. You can make great arguments about small sacrifices by a few to help many using the idea of marginal utility or that the young have more time and thus it is a greater good. But in the end you are fighting against self interest and that's hard. Throw in a measure of survivorship bias and it gets even harder.

I'm not saying it is a good thing but I can at least understand some of it.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:38 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Some people exclude others. When those "others" are able to make a way for themselves despite that, and maybe even manage to do just as well as or better (by outward appearances) than those who excluded them, it makes the excluders feel a type of way. Then the excluders change gears to crush the gains the "others" made despite the excluders' efforts to prevent progress.

I probably didn't answer the question, but that's what I got.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:16 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
People trust what they know and what works for them. They don't know what new ideas may produce. Look what's happened to the USA all based on promises of improvement.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Look what's happened to the USA all based on promises of improvement.

What does this mean? What has happened to the USA? Who made the promises? What's improvement?

Old 02-24-2022, 05:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
People trust what they know and what works for them. They don't know what new ideas may produce. Look what's happened to the USA all based on promises of improvement.
Let's not get political. The US is a much better place to live for many people than it was even 60 years ago. There is no disputing that.

Keep in mind, I said better, not perfect.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
The US is a much better place to live for many people
Agreed.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:31 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
When that statement is made, it usually has to do with using government resources in order to improve the conditions of a particular segment of society.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:04 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
No, I'm not referring to the ones who bellyache about life not being fair.

I'm referring to those who bellyache about the ones who bellyache about life not being fair while labeling them "entitled".

It's not a mystery that over time we strive to improve our circumstances in life. My life is arguably better than my grandparents' lives. Their lives were arguably better than their grandparents' lives. But that's not to say that we have eradicated all issues in society. New problems replace old problems, and people complain or promote ideas to improve upon those problems. And yet, these people striving for improvements get labeled everything under the sun, from entitled to lazy and anything else that describes them as wanting more or the same without the pain and suffering.

I don't know one person who wants things to be bad or for their children's lives not to be better. I think you are projecting some personal setbacks onto the population as a whole.

I agree that life isn't fair. Not everyone has been endowed with the same skills, intellect, prowess, or family largesse. That is a statement of fact - not a put down.

I wish I were as intelligent as Richard Feynman. I daydream about how wonderful it would be to have such great thoughts and solve previously unsolvable problems. However, I'm not and I can't. Is that fair? But, I don't "bellyache" about it. I go on with my life and make the best life I can with all of my many limitations. It takes maturity to realize that we all have limitations and we cannot all achieve the same goals and objectives.

I did not have tax advantaged vehicles to save for retirement during most of my working career. No Roths, no IRAs, no 401(k)s. But, I'm ok and I'm glad that the younger generations will have these products to help them save, even though I didn't have the same opportunities that they have. I don't wish bankruptcy for them.

When I was graduated from college, women were not being hired as professionals in many fields. I was told point blank that the only reason I got my job was because they couldn't find a man for the position. This was during the Vietnam War. Now, women are almost 60% of college students. That's wonderful. I was usually the only woman in my science classes and the professors had me washing up the labs after class. I don't wish that on anyone.

So, in conclusion, I disagree with your premise and believe it to be false. With a false premise, there is no valid conclusion logically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology