Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 261 times

Advertisements

I oftentimes need blood pumping or thought provoking motivation at the beginning of the day to get me started. I either listen to some podcast/music or I watch videos like these:

How do you make sure to stay in a growth mindset during the day?

Do you have any special tricks or tips that you are willing to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 03:22 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
The only thing that has motivated me is to learn a new skill or learn a more efficient way of doing something.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,938,531 times
There are so many tapes I listen to Wayne Dwyer, Brian Tracy, even reach back and listen Napoleon Hill. As long as it's positive, that's all that matters.

I was just thinking this past weekend my head is not where it needs to be and time to pull them out. Almost all are on YouTube now

Old 02-18-2020, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 21,195 times
Some time ago I realized that daily change is not just a possibility, but a necessity for any intellectually functional person. The most important thing at the end of the day is an assessment of the downfalls that bits of irrationality has caused us. Then, it is a critical look at what needs to be done to improve self to not become a victim of the same irrational thought or action. Now, I need this change more than the air that I breathe. It is amazing what can be done in just a few days time to improve self and ways we can apply knowledge.

The main aspiration is this daily change that makes us better and, quite possibly, magnificent as humans.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:46 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,449,416 times
Oh, music is a good one! I remember when I was still working and would start to feel tired of it I'd play Billy Joel's "Second Wind." That always refreshed me.

Another thing I do is childlike. I promise myself a treat when I finish. This can be as small as a tube of lipstick for small but irritating tasks all the way to the motorcycle I bought myself when I had to work through the summer. In fact I've bought two motorcycles for myself as a bribe to do something long-term that I didn't want to do. Carrot and stick.

And there are always friends to ask, "Convince me why it would be good for me to do this."

Old 02-18-2020, 03:02 PM

1,074 posts, read 642,370 times
I guess it depends on what I am being motivated to do.

Most things that I do habitually, people say "I don't know how you have discipline/drive to do that". For me, if I believe in it, I am absolutely 100% convinced without question that it is the right thing to do or way to live, I just do it. No motivation required.

If, however, there is something I have to do that seems unnecessary, or something that still makes me uncomfortable and is easy to second guess, I do a few things: 1) work at the thing during a time of day/week that I am most productive, for me usually morning; 2) research the absolute crap out of it to see if I can convert it to the above status where I don't need motivation; 3) Talk to friends/spouse about it; 4) (not proud of) retail therapy! Buy something cute to wear, get nails done, etc.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,070,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabilu View Post
I oftentimes need blood pumping or thought provoking motivation at the beginning of the day to get me started. I either listen to some podcast/music or I watch videos like these:

How do you make sure to stay in a growth mindset during the day?

Do you have any special tricks or tips that you are willing to share?
My favourite actor , Denzel Washington puts it perfectly.
If you want inspiration listen to inspired people.
Music has its place but someone who can put it into plain English... thats a gift.

https://youtu.be/BxY_eJLBflk

Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,644,960 times
I do have a list of inspirational quotes, but I admit I probably don't pull it out enough. I think I focus on vision, as Arnold says, and on the feeling I get from achievement, even when it's small. Any great achievement has to start with very small achievement -- which is just a day's work well done. No one day is going to get me anywhere by itself, but I know that if every day I can say, "I did good work today," then the cumulative effect will get me where I want to go.

I'm with someone above who said it doesn't really take too much motivation to do some things you just feel are the right thing, or that become part of your lifestyle. I don't find any need for motivation to work out, for instance, I really enjoy lifting weights and I love how it makes me feel, my strength and vitality is part of my identity and allows me to feel great on a regular basis, but my wife finds it very hard to be motivated to work out even though she knows it's good for her intellectually. I can't really say why, but for me it's just a simple discipline thing that working out is what needs to happen on a certain regular basis. I do think it's what we prioritize, though, because I hear all kinds of excuses but I make it very simple -- there is nothing else in life that's more important than working out. My health is #1 because if I don't have that, I really don't have much, so there is no, "Well, I had to do X, Y, and Z," nope, those things can all wait, I'd rather turn down a business phone call or an important errand if it means not working out. There is plenty of time for all of that but it'll be subservient to my workouts always. Sleep and fitness first, then with the remaining time whatever I want.

I find intellectual pursuits always difficult as far as motivation, because creativity is tough, and it doesn't always flow. No matter how important it is and how much I want to be doing it, logically, it's like in the moment I never really want to be doing it because it's mentally taxing. I try to make a point to just focus hard for 3 hours a day and that's as much productivity at that task as I have found I can do without just losing my motivation or focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology