Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:53 AM

678 posts, read 429,694 times

Advertisements

I have a childhood friend who is schizophrenic. We live in different parts of the country and don't keep in touch much anymore except every once in a while on facebook. He sent me an email Christmas morning saying hi and asking what I would do if I psychopathic killers were after me, I had $200 and a car that barely runs. I'm thinking about keeping it short, positive and saying the main thing I would do is to be safe by reaching out to family that can help and the police or 911 if I am in real danger.

I think with that amount of paranoia I'm not going to have much of an impact and I'm guessing he'll think that I don't understand, and even worse become paranoid I'm against him.

Anyway, I'm curious what people would do, especially those who have experience dealing with others that have suffered from the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 10:16 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Do you know any of their relatives that may be nearby and can you contact him? Sounds like it's time to get him to check in to a facility...

Old 12-25-2017, 10:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I honestly would not respond to an email like that.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Do you know any of their relatives that may be nearby and can you contact him? Sounds like it's time to get him to check in to a facility...
I do know his relatives but haven't talked to them since childhood. Also, I think his dad is the only one who lives near by and not sure his contact info. I'm guessing they're in touch and know his current state too, especially with it being Christmas day. So I'm not sure if it would be of benefit to reach out to them, especially with it being Christmas day as I'm sure it already causes tremendous stress amongst them.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I honestly would not respond to an email like that.
I hate doing nothing and ignoring when a friend is in need, but could accept that sometimes doing nothing can be the best thing. Wonder if others would agree about not responding, especially those with experience trying to help in similar situations.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:16 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I would respond that I would call a crisis hotline or the doctor. It will likely make him distrust you but there is nothing else you can do,so you may as well direct him to professional. I found the worst thing I could do was feed into my relatives paranoia but in the end it became so severe i became just another enemy

Old 12-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanks all. I just sent a quick response wishing a Merry Christmas, asking how his family is and what he's up to for Christmas. I also said if I felt endangered I would call my mom (he mentioned doing in his email) and also call the police or 911.

For him reaching out to me at this point, I think the paranoia must be quite bad and pretty much all I recommend will turn me into another enemy / person who doesn't understand. I'll also check Facebook and alert other friends and family if things seem to be going downhill quickly.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:52 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Schizophrenics are so difficult to tell anything to because everything is so REAL in their mind, that they don't believe anything otherwise. They will say that black is white and MEAN it.

The scary thing when they become psychotic like your friend, you have to worry about them taking a gun out and blowing someone away who they deem as a threat ("psychopathic killers after him" who are innocent bystanders)

I would definitely try to contact a member of his family if you can connect up, and let them know how bad he is, in case they aren't aware. He may have driven them away with his rantings. He isn't to be taken lightly in this state of mind.

I know because I had a family member at that point once upon a time. At least before he seriously hurt our mother or my husband, I called 911, two burly policemen came and safely took him to the hospital and had him committed.

On his meds, he was MUCH, MUCH better for years until he passed away with heart problems, but they HAVE to stay on their meds.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I have a childhood friend who is schizophrenic. We live in different parts of the country and don't keep in touch much anymore except every once in a while on facebook. He sent me an email Christmas morning saying hi and asking what I would do if I psychopathic killers were after me, I had $200 and a car that barely runs. I'm thinking about keeping it short, positive and saying the main thing I would do is to be safe by reaching out to family that can help and the police or 911 if I am in real danger.

I think with that amount of paranoia I'm not going to have much of an impact and I'm guessing he'll think that I don't understand, and even worse become paranoid I'm against him.

Anyway, I'm curious what people would do, especially those who have experience dealing with others that have suffered from the disease.
I would simply ask,
Have taken your medication today.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:42 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Thanks all. I just sent a quick response wishing a Merry Christmas, asking how his family is and what he's up to for Christmas. I also said if I felt endangered I would call my mom (he mentioned doing in his email) and also call the police or 911.

For him reaching out to me at this point, I think the paranoia must be quite bad and pretty much all I recommend will turn me into another enemy / person who doesn't understand. I'll also check Facebook and alert other friends and family if things seem to be going downhill quickly.
Honestly, I think that's about the best possible response one could ask for. It's positive, it's distracting, but it still validates his integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology