Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times

Advertisements

I don't think so...my personality is a little rough around the edges but my look is very vanilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 08:19 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or be sad at this.

Diss, don't you think it might be time to ditch at lease some of the meanness? Is it really serving you well?
Nah, I gotta be me. Far too weird for me to be nice and cuddly.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Hmm, I don't know. In terms of style I either wear bright colors or black and white prints and grey. I tend to dress a bit preppy, a bit classic, a bit edgy. A lot femme. I've had some people shockingly describe my style as glam. I am too practical to wear heels. But I like to dress up and have a concrete sense of style.

I have a super bubbly valley girl voice. But it doesn't match up with assumptions you may have for a 30-something black woman.

People describe me as high energy, extroverted, charming, bubbly, and positive. I also seem put together.

I seem a lot more open than I am. I do not attach very easily but I am easy to connect with. It is not so much that I am superficial, but I am reserved with sharing myself, but accepting if you want to share yourself with me.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
I've posted about this before, since it's a struggle of mine. A few years back, someone basically accused me of looking somewhat nerdy and correctly guessed a type of job I had long ago. But I was an odd duck in that industry. I've since done a gradual revamp, buying more creative clothes. I'm socially withdrawn and sometimes grumpy, but inside I'm a fairly unconventional, restless (e.g., dislike wearing the same clothes frequently), sometimes lively person. Some of it probably is from how I look above the neck, though. I definitely don't want to much change my hair style.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:06 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
I struggle to even answer this. There are a lot of sides to me both internally and externally, and I tend to have a concept of myself from the inside, not a mental self image of "me" as whatever it is others perceive. I look in a mirror and I see my own flaws, or notice that somehow for a change I woke up with my hair looking fantastic and how weird... But I've noticed that when I look at others, I don't even notice flaws, I see a sort of whole picture. So I don't feel I have a great mental concept of my appearance. And my personality, just isn't always the same.

I'm silly and snarky, and I think my voice (something like Cher and Darlene from the show, "Roseanne") fits that.

My inner self is graceful, my outer self is clumsy. Living in my body sometimes feels like trying to run through a swimming pool. If I hear great music, I might imagine myself dancing, but I cannot seem to actually dance, even if I "see" all of the motions in my mind.

When I'm angry, I feel like a crazed muppet, like I want to run around flailing and screaming. But I never do that.

My sense of style I do express, in clothing. I sometimes wear long skirts and slightly hippie-ish stuff when I want to be feminine. I wear baggy (but not extreme) black Tripp pants with a few zippers and metal doodads on them, with my t-shirts referencing bands or other interests. I can pull off "cute" and I can pull off "elegant" if I put a little effort in. It surprises my friends who are used to seeing me dressed as the makeup-free nerdy girl, that I own several formal gowns. I have Yoko Ono hair and John Lennon glasses, but I really don't care much about the Beatles. I love long striped socks.

I don't know that any of this really expresses who I think I am...it's all bits and bobs I've picked up over time.

I am in fact more reserved, controlled, and far more domestic than many of my friends expect. I have a "fun" social personality and people tend to like me, and it often surprises them that I don't drink or do drugs, that I'm as old as I am, and that despite many adventures, I'm actually a very cautious person in many ways. My adventures are always planned out meticulously. I'm not very impulsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology