Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:44 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

(Bear with me if you happened upon this same post I've put on various other forums.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74YILhy4RgE

I've watched this whole thing over and over again and I fail to see what he said or did wrong, at least when interpreting everything that he said literally and logically.

He said that he respects the MeToo movement and it's a beautiful thing. But he also says that there are people who use that movement to gain personal significance rather than what the movement was intended for and he doesn't like that. I totally agree with his point of view and I don't see how that is disrespectful to the MeToo movement itself.

He then holds out his fist and asks that woman to hold hers out and he pushes against her fist. Ok, this may be pushing it a little (no pun intended) but if you've seen his other videos, he often does playful things like this to get his point across (you'll find more examples if you go through other videos of him out there.) Maybe he shouldn't have here due to the seriousness of the topic being discussed, but it seems a lot of critics out there who are pointing to this video say that he was attacking this woman and I couldn't disagree more.

He also mentions he knows some men who won't hire an attractive woman because they are afraid of ending up with a sexual harassment lawsuit or something like that. Again, I don't agree with those men who refuse to hire attractive women, but I don't see what Tony did wrong with mentioning this. It doesn't imply that he behaves this way, and he's merely stating a fact and people are now enraged over him, kinda like shooting the messenger.

I agree that Tony might have handled this better, but help me understand how the content of his interaction shows disrespect for the MeToo movement. He continually reiterates his appreciation of the movement but also calls out the people who have corrupted it (by using it for their own personal gain instead of what it was intended for.)

This sort of thing hits home for me since I'm totally a "facts and logic" type of person and although I can't come up with specific examples right now off the top of my head, I've been in many situations throughout my life where I was merely stating facts and using logic but others might end up misinterpreting me as disrespecting someone or something especially if the fact I reported doesn't support a positive view of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
He's 6'7" and she's tiny. He's intimidating.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
He's 6'7" and she's tiny. He's intimidating .
And there's thousands of people watching right there. How would it still be that intimidating? Help me understand, as if I'm stupid.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And there's thousands of people watching right there. How would it still be that intimidating? Help me understand, as if I'm stupid.
Well, apparently a lot of people felt it was intimidating. The number of people watching probably isn't relevant.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well, apparently a lot of people felt it was intimidating. The number of people watching probably isn't relevant.
How lots of people feel is irrelevant, how dou YOU feel? Regardless of what others feel and/or if there are any facts I'm missing here?

Old 04-12-2018, 07:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
He basically exhibited what the MeToo movement is pushing back against.

First, he interrupted the hell out of the woman when she began to speak.

He then went on to say:

"What you’re seeing is people making themselves significant by making somebody else wrong. And there’s nothing wrong with that. It just won’t make you happy. It won’t make them better. It won’t make you better.”

MeToo isn't about "making someone else wrong." The abusers ARE wrong. The victims of sexual abuse and harrassment are merely pointing that out and bringing it to light.

He spoke of victimization as if it weren't a real thing, but just a state of mind.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Because his statement was a forked tongue comment stating he respects the movement BUT and he then goes on the undermine it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/b...o-apology.html
And given his coaching about empowering ourselves I’m rather dismayed he stated “In an exercise, he had her hold out her fist and pushed her across the room, to demonstrate, he said, that pushing back wouldn't make her safer”. He used his physical power/ strength and height to prove his point and control his narrative, which is not much different for many victims of the #metoo movement.
https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/ton...elligence.html

So even if you don’t get it, he did and apologized .

Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
How lots of people feel is irrelevant, how dou YOU feel? Regardless of what others feel and/or if there are any facts I'm missing here?
Oh, I feel I'd make him back up and get a little intimidating myself with him, but I'm 6'3". I've done a lot of contracting of musicians where men tried to steal my gigs and push me around (emphasis on tried). And I've owned a business for over 20 years in a competitive market, with big retailers trying to put me out of business. I'm not very pusharoundable.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Because his statement was a forked tongue comment stating he respects the movement BUT and he then goes on the undermine it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/b...o-apology.html
And given his coaching about empowering ourselves I’m rather dismayed he stated “In an exercise, he had her hold out her fist and pushed her across the room, to demonstrate, he said, that pushing back wouldn't make her safer”. He used his physical power/ strength and height to prove his point and control his narrative, which is not much different for many victims of the #metoo movement.
https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/ton...elligence.html

So even if you don’t get it, he did and apologized .
Yeah he apologized because he didn't want to lose revenue.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:07 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Yeah he apologized because he didn't want to lose revenue.

Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology