Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times

Advertisements

Some young adults will try to excuse poor choices in their behavior to, "I was young and dumb."

Is that a valid excuse? Or is it a smoke screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:08 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Some people may say it to "CTheirA"s, so to speak, but if someone is generally sorry for what they did, and they do better now that they know better, then they've grown up. Alternately, sometimes what's done is done and there's no atoning for it.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:11 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
"I was young and dumb."

That comes from a mind who has been on the earth for whatever young is defined as, maybe as old as 25-30? It's relative I suppose, because 50 is young to someone who is 80.

At 58, I look back and say "I was young and inexperienced". I get that concept now. I did not as a teenager.

But to this day I still do things, that in 20 years from now, I will easily look back at and say the same thing.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
IME many of the "young and dumb" become the "still stupid".

Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I use it from time to time when talking about my one brush with the law. It's not an excuse, it IS an explanation. I fully own what I did, made my reparations, and moved on with life. I've lived many more years since my 'young and dumb' than the age when I did my deed and have successfully avoided any more of THOSE kinds of dumb things (law breaking).

So, is it an Excuse... something someone wants you to forgive. Or is it an Explanation.... something someone is admitting was a mistake and wants you to consider their actions After whatever incident.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Some young adults will try to excuse poor choices in their behavior to, "I was young and dumb."

Is that a valid excuse? Or is it a smoke screen?
Valid excuse for what?

Copying answers from the back of the book on an algebra assignment in 9th grade?

Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?

Context matters.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Depends on what they're talking about.

Most of the people I know used it to describe bad decisions in relationships, tattoos, etc.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Valid excuse for what?

Copying answers from the back of the book on an algebra assignment in 9th grade?

Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?

Context matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Depends on what they're talking about.

Most of the people I know used it to describe bad decisions in relationships, tattoos, etc.
Good points. I could probably excuse something a young and NAIVE person did in youthful exuberance or inexperience. But if it were something a typical kid should simply know better, then no.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
i agree with tabularasa..... context is very important..... we all do things that are stupid when we are dumbyoung.... i took a jump on a motorcycle i am still amazed i lived to tell the tale, i married back in 1970 because "nice" girls back then did not live with their boyfriends, or even like in my case, my fiancee.... you just didn't do things like that... when younger, i am really pissed at myself i never had the guts to blow the whistle on the men i worked with who made lewd comments because the head of personnel always told me it was my word against theirs, and they are in charge and will just see to it that you were fired.

yeah, young and dumb...... but that should never apply to moral issues.... most of us know right from wrong, unless we were brought up in a barn..... so in other instances, I knew it was totally wrong what they did to this kid, 8th grader, when the "in-crowd kids" tacked a sign on his back " i'm a dork" and then proceeded to keep asking him to go up and get them this or that thing, and each time he did, the cafeteria roared with laughter, and this kid started to melt down, knowing something about him was wrong, but what? he was beet red, hesitant, looked like he was going to cry..... and i stood up, ripped the sign off his back and told the entire cafeteria they were a bunch of A-holes. I got suspended for 3 days, because i refused to apologize the next day to those nasty kids in that cafeteria. I just wouldn't.... young and dumb was an excuse? for that behavior? doing something mean and hurtful, unkind? They knew better, but it was fun to get their jollies destroying someone else, just to make themselves feel better than everyone, and add to their "power"..... and of course those incrowd jocks didn't even get a detention.

i do believe we all know what is right, good, truthful, and yes, needs to be expressed, but we also know what causes harm, belittling, mocking that will hurt another person. I was young and dumb just doesn't cut it, i bet that group of jocks went thru life cheating on their income taxes, renegging on their word or pledged to do this and not that, kicking their dog or losing it because the next door neighbor's cat won't stay out of his yard....... kids that think they are entitled to do anything for fun, laughs and power points will grow up to be adults who haven't a decent conscience, still feel the need to feel superior at the altar of their overweaning ego, and still think they can get away with just about anything in the name of "who will find out?" " i'm a rebel with a cause, wink wink" and that worse of all excuses? " because everyone does it"

Last edited by ceiligrrl; 04-26-2018 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
... "I was young and dumb." ... Is that a valid excuse? Or is it a smoke screen?
Both. It depends on who is saying it & it depends on who the audience is. My version is “During my misspent youth ...” And yes, when I say it, I am using it as a smoke screen.

Some of what I would prefer to minimize, did not actually take place when I was all that young is part of the issue.

I’ve been a lifelong “equal opportunity employer” of WTF moments, although I can say that I’ve never stolen, scammed, recklessly endangered, retaliated, injured or bullied.

Being young & dumb is relatable. I feel like I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology