Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

I was told years ago that people who lie, sniff a lot. I know two people who tell many "white" lies and they both sniff A LOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:33 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I was told years ago that people who lie, sniff a lot. I know two people who tell many "white" lies and they both sniff A LOT.
I have persistent sinus drainage from having needed three turbinectomies. So what will that tell you?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
For some it might work. I work with a compulsive liar. He lies about stupid stuff about his life style. It is rather sad.

If you don't know him, you would believe him.

That sounds like a coworker I had worked with, she would lie about places she went on holidays etc and other things. Her lies goes undetected to others, for someone who sniff BS from miles away she's unbelieveably ludicrous to me.

Here's the thing with compulsive liars, even when their lies are exposed they can still keep a straight face like real. Either they have no sense of their own lies or they're ignorant to the sense of others.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:45 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I agree with a couple of others here that all reactions mentioned are signs of NERVOUSNESS not necessarily of dishonesty. A sociopath or compulsive liar doesn't have enough of a conscience to feel nervous. They don't care about being honest.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:45 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But what if some of these nervous reactions are just because the person is being interrogated? Isn't that going to cause nervousness all by itself?

Shouldn't it actually be more alarming if a person, say, being interrogated for a rape or murder, or arson or some awful thing, is absolutely collected, casual, relaxed, perfect neutral face, etc.? That he's not the least bit shocked or unnerved that the cops have hauled him in for questioning about something shocking?

I dunno...I am awful at eye contact, it unnerves me, I am horribly shy that way. And it accused of something - granted this has been much more low key for me and for sure not criminal (one time, for example, a fellow employee claimed someone else punched in for me while I came in late for lunch...stuff like that), but still - I get really flustered by authority. It's just the IDEA that somebody might think ill of me. I'm not a smart, practiced criminal who is cool as ice under scrutiny. I'm an average Jane who would crap with fear under such circumstances, I am 100% sure, even totally innocent.
I will add on with this article excerpt:
"Take note of any excessive sweating
Bouton says sweat may appear on the forehead, cheeks, or back of the neck, and you'll likely observe the person try to wipe it away."

What if the person has some condition where they are more sweat-prone than most people or that extra sweat is a side effect of some prescribed medicine?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
I had an experience with lying last week.

I had to ask someone a very pointed question about something that is important. The woman I was speaking may with or may not have something to hide. I was almost amused when I realized that she was speaking non-stop in random phrases, and that she was saying absolutely nothing while trying to sound very intelligent. I just sat and listened and it went on for quite some time.

On the basis of speaking in phrases and saying nothing, I knew she was trying to bamboozle me.

She would appear nervous regardless of whether she was lying, so I think nervousness can be excluded as a factor in interpreting eye direction and facial expression in relation to deception. It was her words that gave her away, and I think she was sniffing a lot as well.

Last edited by Lieneke; 04-28-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 11:13 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But what if some of these nervous reactions are just because the person is being interrogated? Isn't that going to cause nervousness all by itself?
Being a somewhat anxious person, I always assumed I'd fail a polygraph (were I ever in the position to take one) for this exact reason. And going in, I'd be anxious about potential anxiety, thus compounding the problem....

Anyway, the ones I found most interesting in this list were 4-6, the ones about looking left if telling truth and right if lying. Most of the rest were kind of already known or somewhat obvious

Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have persistent sinus drainage from having needed three turbinectomies. So what will that tell you?
We're talking 'average' people here, not those who've had three turbinectomies. No offense.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
According to the article, people have 'tells'. JerZ, it would be perfectly natural to be nervous if being questioned by authority. A professional would know that, and compensate for that.

What they're looking for is lying, and the body movements that would indicate a person is lying.

What fascinated me, was, if the person is right handed, and trying to truly access a memory, they will look up and to the left. If they're trying to make something up and lie, they'll look to the right.

If they're trying to truthfully describe a smell, they'll look down and to the left (like down, where your nose is). If they're trying to recall something they heard, their eyes will shift to the left...toward their ears.

I just found that so interesting!
Yeah, I found the same ones most interesting. Maybe going forward people'll commonly have false tells, if this information becomes common knowledge...3.4 million views and counting of this article, so...heh.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I suspect most introverts would be judged as liars by amateurs trying to apply a magazine article to their personal affairs. Most of the time, we are looking for a way out.
Concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology