Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums you frequent, how do you characterize the overall atmosphere on CD?
Less Positive / More Negative 56 49.56%
About the same 30 26.55%
Less Negative / More Positive 27 23.89%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,191,778 times

Advertisements

All I know is that I need practice because I haven't played for some years. I got my Telecaster and my Yamaha acoustic, I'm retired and have as much time as I want to enjoy my beautiful new guitar and my old trusty acoustic. And you reminded me, I need a metronome. I bet there's an app for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,800,688 times
Lovehound, is your site as verbose, bloggy and self-referential as your posts here? A place for people to talk endlessly about the minutiae of their lives? If so, you can't really compare it to here, since the mods here tend to frown on journaling in the context of discussion threads.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Lovehound, is your site as verbose, bloggy and self-referential as your posts here? A place for people to talk endlessly about the minutiae of their lives? If so, you can't really compare it to here, since the mods here tend to frown on journaling in the context of discussion threads.
Not sure what you are talking about. I'm not flogging my site here, haven't mentioned the URL, I don't fish in other people's ponds.

As for what's on my forum, it's whatever the members type.

As far as my posts here, I'm a published writer. Typing is what I do. You may skip past my posts with relative ease.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,800,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As far as my posts here, I'm a published writer. Typing is what I do. You may skip past my posts with relative ease.
So are many of us here. You can tell them by their attention to context, relevance and brevity.

But I will take your advice and use the blocking feature as suggested.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:32 AM

20,454 posts, read 14,773,837 times
Gotta say, I'm pretty sure you've chided me too, Zentropa, for my lack of brevity and my oversharing and novel-writing and all that. And believe it or not, I took your critique seriously. You were not the only voice saying such, though you were one of only a few, you (and they) were voices I respect.

And in response...there are times I TRY at least, to check myself before going too far into topics that might be uncomfortable to other people, and there are times I (metaphorically) bite my tongue...I've changed my mind and discarded many posts, deciding nobody really wanted all the exposition I was about to throw out there.

But at the same time, and I say this both in response to your position, and with a nod to Lovehound, I have had any number of posters PM me, or rep me, that something I said resonated and helped them, or gave them a valuable new perspective on something. The fact is...while your preferences are valid and yes, C-D does discourage "blogging" in the forums...this is not Twitter. And some people here don't mind longer posts, or prefer them over, for instance, a contribution consisting of 2 sentences that were poorly written and/or added nothing to the conversation. (I am NOT suggesting you do this--I value your thoughts--I'm saying we see plenty of that here in general.)

So I guess...to SOME degree...if enough others appreciate what Lovehound has to say, then your opinion is (again, respectfully) just that. Your opinion.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,696,658 times
While I think CD mods can get a bit too persnickety, I am grateful that there is some control. I know that some other forums are/were a lot worse.

I USED to think CD was full of snots and mean-spirited people UNTIL I joined Facebook (which I'm in processing of canceling).

Old 05-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
While I think CD mods can get a bit too persnickety, I am grateful that there is some control. I know that some other forums are/were a lot worse.

I USED to think CD was full of snots and mean-spirited people UNTIL I joined Facebook (which I'm in processing of canceling).
I just had to LOL at your FB example!

I cleaned my FB account of all personal info, deleted all friends, and changed to a fake last name. I don't post anything and don't comment on anything, and only use my FB account so that I can read other FB pages, including businesses who are so stupid to base their advertising on FB, not knowing they are shutting out the vast population who have no FB accounts.

I post here and just try to ignore the negative. A few times I forgot and I got slapped down by the mods.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,696,658 times
Quote:
I just had to LOL at your FB example!

I cleaned my FB account of all personal info, deleted all friends, and changed to a fake last name. I don't post anything and don't comment on anything, and only use my FB account so that I can read other FB pages, including businesses who are so stupid to base their advertising on FB, not knowing they are shutting out the vast population who have no FB accounts.

I post here and just try to ignore the negative. A few times I forgot and I got slapped down by the mods.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,075,732 times
Quote:
I don't visit many forums. I think part of C-D's problem is it's just too big. I also think the moderation is sometimes excessive, which leads to members getting snarly, which then leads to a negative environment. I think less aggressive moderation would improve the forum, particularly if moderation was directed at the members most needing it.

I rarely read much of this forum because most of it plain doesn't interest me. I don't visit at all unless I'm bored. In fact I'm turning off my computer to go read a book until it's time to get ready for this evening's date.

I used to participate in a forum with almost zero moderation. It did NOT make the moderation better. The political forum ended up being about 5 guys (all the ladies just ended up leaving bit by bit) and it all just turned into a name calling mud fest. Just a few guys letting their testosterone talk for them.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I used to participate in a forum with almost zero moderation. It did NOT make the moderation better. The political forum ended up being about 5 guys (all the ladies just ended up leaving bit by bit) and it all just turned into a name calling mud fest. Just a few guys letting their testosterone talk for them.
I'm a member of such a forum, except... It's mostly a clique of conservatives who pat each other's backs and it's an ole boy's club. The owner and admin hate me despite my following their every iota of rules. So they rigged my account so as to be unusable, and when I emailed another friend on the forum and gave her the 411 she complained in a post (which got deleted) and now she says she's banned, but a third common friend says she appears not banned but when he clicks her profile he gets page not found.

They have hundreds of members but less than a dozen active members, and the conjecture between the three of us is that whenever they don't like anybody they just fix their wagon.

You want an example of the worst moderation on the Internet, THAT is the worst forum I can think of. They don't moderate you (how could they when you didn't violate any rules?) they just use dirty tricks to deep six your account.

The pitiful thing is that they would have an excellent discussion forum if they just followed their own rules and nixxed the dirty tricks. This is just so pathetic it's unreal.

Anybody who complains about CD moderation, just remember there is always a worse forum somewhere on the Internet.

Oh yes, and another example, an open source software development forum... My friend followed all their forum rules, except one moderator has a bug for multi-posting. Mind you, there is no rule that you have to combine all your replies in any topic. My friend got banned because she had trouble multi-posting and continued separate posts despite being warned by that moderator. Keep in mind this is a moderator on a crusade and making separate replies is not against the rules. It's only this single moderator who has a bug up his arse against too many replies and not using multi-reply. And it is overall forum management to blame for allowing this one moderator free rein to ban people because he doesn't like their posting style. — By the way I used to be a big contributor there but I've pulled all my software contributions and they can get by without me. It's a pity their users won't have access to the features I added because my features are gone!

Yeah, I don't always like CD's moderation, but I take it like a man, standing up and I just accept it. I know how truly bad some forums are moderated.

I started my own forum just because of the two cases I described above. My philosophy is no ad hominem attacks, no flaming, no slurs. And it's okay to use f-bombs as long is that isn't your whole post. No advertising. That's my whole rules. And if my forum ever gets large enough to require moderators (our staff is 2) I'll fire any moderator who gives a member flack and can't cite a rule that was violated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology