Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:25 PM

12,632 posts, read 2,996,847 times

Advertisements

Okay no one enjoys criticism. It can be difficult to face, but most of us at some point in our lives have to face the fact we've made an error or done something wrong and criticism may be a loaded word. I don't mean it to be, correction then?

I know a couple of people where it is impossible to have any discussion with them that might include a correction.This is not about being mean or unfair to them, it's just that we all can learn something at some time, except for those of us who are perfect of course. Here's an example of what I mean.

Bob: (says something in a really obnoxious tone of voice to Dave)

Dave: Hey, don't talk to me that way. It's rude.

Bob: You're being rude.

Dave: It's not rude to point out your rudeness.

Bob: You're being rude right now.

Dave: I'm saying you spoke to me rudely.

Bob: You're speaking to me rudely.

Dave: I'm saying don't talk rudely to me.

Bob: You're talking rudely to me.

and so on. Seriously. I'm not making this up. This is almost word for word and it is done on any conversation about anything.

Do you know anyone who simply cannot be corrected or have any discussion because anything at all, no matter how diplomatically put to them, they just turn it around on another person, even if that makes no logical sense? What do you think is going on with people who do this? These are grown people by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 03:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,560,032 times
It's a sign of immaturity, and I don't really know if anything can be done, other than trying to avoid the stupid conversations.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,230,510 times
If someone can’t acknowledge they are being rude or not willing to address how something they said made you feel then time to walk away.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,179,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's a sign of immaturity, and I don't really know if anything can be done, other than trying to avoid the stupid conversations.
Oh, I know exactly what can be done:

1. I don't hire them, in interviews. Ran into a clown like that last year. He cussed out HR when found out we weren't hiring him after all (loop took a few days). Dork. Question was, "have you ever had a project or major situation that failed?" Answer: "No, only people that failed me!" Dipstick.

2. And/or, I don't promote them, and they get a good talking-to. Some get it. If they don't, they stay as Jr. level until hell freezes over and are never given authority over others, at least in my org.

Professionals admit errors and face the music head on, with dignity. Everyone gets the beat down, it's how you get up that defines how big a (wo)man you really are. And that's a fact, I am positive of it. It is one of the major qualities of senior and executive vs. junior.

Of course, some executives and politicians blame everything on their predecessors, so at some point, the bit flips back the other way. I call that blamestorming. They say, "we don't go after people, only problems" neglecting to mention that most problems are caused by people in business (or need to be blamed on someone). So, someone is selected, and purged. I've seen it a hundred times. And, one day, it is your turn and you're purged. Circle back to, "take the beat down, and get up again."

Old 05-28-2018, 02:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Do you know anyone who simply cannot be corrected or have any discussion because anything at all, no matter how diplomatically put to them, they just turn it around on another person, even if that makes no logical sense? What do you think is going on with people who do this? These are grown people by the way.
They're immature, ego-maniacal and not very bright.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,073,923 times
Quote:

Yes!

Non-conversations like these are a big part of why I tend to simply smile-and-nod a lot more these days.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:27 PM

35,810 posts, read 18,149,580 times
I'm trying to picture people having that conversation, and I don't know any people who do that.

Except maybe irritable married couples or children siblings.

Both of them are being rude and petty.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:28 PM

35,810 posts, read 18,149,580 times
But to answer the question in your title, I think all of us know people who can't take criticism at all. They deflect it and blame and deny.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:43 PM

102,294 posts, read 108,390,953 times
OP, some people have really strong defenses. That's what you're describing in the interaction in your OP. That's just the way it is. THey're not interested in communicating or being your friend. They're only interested in protecting their ego. So, walk away when that happens, and put them on a very back burner, in your list of friend priorities.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM

23,648 posts, read 70,651,729 times
Quote:
Okay no one enjoys criticism. It can be difficult to face, but most of us at some point in our lives have to face the fact we've made an error or done something wrong and criticism may be a loaded word. I don't mean it to be, correction then?

I know a couple of people where it is impossible to have any discussion with them that might include a correction.This is not about being mean or unfair to them, it's just that we all can learn something at some time, except for those of us who are perfect of course. Here's an example of what I mean.

Bob: (says something in a really obnoxious tone of voice to Dave)

Dave: Hey, don't talk to me that way. It's rude.

Bob: You're being rude.

Dave: It's not rude to point out your rudeness.

Bob: You're being rude right now.

Dave: I'm saying you spoke to me rudely.

Bob: You're speaking to me rudely.

Dave: I'm saying don't talk rudely to me.

Bob: You're talking rudely to me.

and so on. Seriously. I'm not making this up. This is almost word for word and it is done on any conversation about anything.

*sigh* See the bolded line? That is representative of a communication style.

When you TELL a person that THEY are doing something wrong, it is a form of aggression and judgment. The simple fact is that you cannot own their feelings, and your values may be completely different - to the point that you are not even understood when you try to correct them.

If Dave had responded instead - "Bob, what I just hear you say was - blah blah blah - Is that correct?" Bob then has to admit or deny what was said within his own mind. That gives a chance for him to correct, if what was heard was not what he intended, or to clarify his statement.

If his answer is "Yes, that is what I said" then the second part of the response is along the lines of: "When you said that, I felt - this that or the other. I would appreciate your not doing that in the future."

What Dave is then doing is owning HIS OWN feelings, and giving a clear request for future responses. If Bob comes back with "You shouldn't feel that way," it is a simple matter to say "I said what I felt as a help to you, my feelings are my own. What I am asking of you is this change in the way you talk with me. That is all."

If Bob comes back with "Well, I won't do that!" Then the response is "I'm sorry to hear that, since we won't be able to talk with each other, because I will not accept being treated that way. Goodbye. (Or in a business situation, "I'll refer you to so-and-so. If you need to communicate with me, please do so through them or in writing.""

The first few time Dave tries this, it will feel stilted and wussy, because there is NOT active aggression involved, but merely a strong defense stance that allows enough wiggle room for an aggressor to shift position. Once the aggressor realizes that his favorite game is no longer being played, he will lose interest.

There are MANY other strategies, but this is one of the simplest for most people to understand and implement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology