Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,710,081 times

Advertisements

I get mad when my team don't perform up to their expectations. But yelling, screaming and acting childish I don't do. Those that do usually have something to lose, a bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,934,562 times
Additionally, if curse words are spoken by women, it often makes men slightly uncomfortable: strong language consists of "power words" and at some primitive level, are supposed to be reserved for men.

Though I'm an ardent feminist in terms of equal pay for equal work, opposition to domestic violence, support and respect for women and girls, and a host of such principles, in my experience men and women are quite different, and in ways deeper than mere socialization.

In the first Godfather film, the Michael Corleone character makes a statement something like 'there are things that have been going on between men and women for thousands of years. . ' And that's true. All kinds of things written deep into the genetic code based on hunting and male bonding. Probably the sports watching is relevant, as is communicating better with males if you sit side-by-side versus facing them. In hunting, men for millennia sat side-by-side, not head on.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM

11,263 posts, read 7,309,916 times
They represent a group of men who want/need to wall up inside a childish box of primitive nonsense. I don't get it - why that interests them, and why they carry on in that way - but hey, humanity is strange. I've given up trying to understand the unexplainable.

In the end, I'm just glad I'm not like them...

Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 AM

29,801 posts, read 34,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I remember a study by the University of Georgia that showed that some men do actually experience hormonal and other physiological changes when watching a game and that the pattern mirrors the type of hormonal changes that occur in male animals who are fighting over a mate.

I think this behavior, and the reaction it brings from other family members, was the origin of the "man cave" we hear so much about these days. Men who get this way during sports just want to be able to enjoy their sports in peace.

It's not all bad. It can be a stress reliever and a way for them to bond with friends.
Right? Anyone who says that men aren't emotional has never seen a bunch of dudes watching a game.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 AM

67 posts, read 68,635 times
I don't mean to come off as ignorant and generalize it but does anyone find those who watch sports, tend to be lazy with fixing things? House or car maintenance, ..etc?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM

34,298 posts, read 20,605,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, my screen name has nothing to do with Sheena Queen of the Jungle.

It does have to do with this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yCW7Aw8ugOI
One of my all time favorite bands.

Sometimes it's just fun to be loud and raucus. We used to get really loud watching the LA Lakers back in the early 80s. It was what we went to the bar for, to quaff a beer and eat and yell our heads off.

I never got into soap operas back in the 70s, but some females watched them all. Daily! I suppose that is just as mystifying to some men.

Some guys and gals are just at the extreme end of the bell curve.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:53 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,096,638 times
Eh, I'm a female and I watch a lot of sports. I will make comments if I am watching with other people who enjoy sports as well. I don't yell, throw tantrums, or like to trash the actual athlete, though. I do think that's silly and embarrassing. noticed the larger the group of people, the rowdier some will get. They just feed of each other..

I have paced before if I'm anxious, turned a game off if frustrated, and felt "blah" after a big loss. I broke my cell phone when a basketball game went into double OT and we won at the buzzer. I jumped up and my phone came out of pocket and fell to the concrete floor (I was at the game). It totally shattered the face. It's an adrenaline rush.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,258,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post
I don't mean to come off as ignorant and generalize it but does anyone find those who watch sports, tend to be lazy with fixing things? House or car maintenance, ..etc?
No.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM

34,298 posts, read 20,605,922 times
An extreme example of the subculture would be those hooligans, now THAT is too much for me.

Google football fans hooligans. I had no idea the soccer fans had taken it to that extreme point of violence. So I suppose a couple of fat couch potatoes yelling around is nothing to lose sleep over.

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.xGNH9wL4nLU

Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 8,434,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I remember a study by the University of Georgia that showed that some men do actually experience hormonal and other physiological changes when watching a game and that the pattern mirrors the type of hormonal changes that occur in male animals who are fighting over a mate.

I think this behavior, and the reaction it brings from other family members, was the origin of the "man cave" we hear so much about these days. Men who get this way during sports just want to be able to enjoy their sports in peace.

It's not all bad. It can be a stress reliever and a way for them to bond with friends.
Watching competitive, and especially physical or violent, sports increases testosterone levels in men, but not in women. I doubt they get the same "effect" watching figure skating or the ballet.

That could explain some of the language and antics (if not drinking, that doesn't mean they aren't getting a "high"), but also why many women can take or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology