Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:12 AM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT go about gossiping about your supervisor with your co-workers.
Completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
Keep your thoughts to yourself until proven (or disproven).
Disagree. Just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 03:55 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

Anyways!
Am I alone in this?
You are not alone. Not often, but sometimes I meet someone and there is a quick personality conflict I feel right away. Less than a handful of times in my life time, but I felt it right away. Never quite pinpoint why.

Quote:
It is just something about her I don't like but I can't put my finger on it...
Have you ever felt like this about somebody? You can't figure out what it is. If it's you or is this other person who is the problem. I rarely meet people like this but when I do and I'm forced to work with them, it can be quite frustrating.
I also think we all have that six sense. Something is just not right. Some people just give me a weird vibe.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
The funny thing is that some of the people here who judge others like this, might be giving off a weird vibe to others. In other words you might have qualities that other people don't like either.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
I had several female co-workers and almost all of them had a vibe to them of insecurity. The insecurity developed into a superiority complex over the years. The women started an all female club (no men allowed) and after that I had a gut feeling that I should keep my distance from them and several other of my male co-workers felt the same. Whenever I walked into a room where there were several females the conversation just stopped and not another word was said.

Over the next decade or so almost all of the women were promoted around the males and became our bosses. I lucked out and had a good female boss but others were not so lucky.

The women bosses would sit in their offices all day and kept their doors closed while any of the male bosses kept their doors open all day. Whenever I approached my female boss with a question 100% of the time she would just ask me what I though would be the right why to go.

My gut always had a bad feeling about these women bosses and when I got close to retirement I found out why. My male bosses (some were several levels above the female bosses) confided in me that these women were bed hoping with the upper management. They were being promoted because the upper level male bosses were afraid that these women would tell their wife's about their affairs.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:03 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default and today, women think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I had several female co-workers and almost all of them had a vibe to them of insecurity. The insecurity developed into a superiority complex over the years. The women started an all female club (no men allowed) and after that I had a gut feeling that I should keep my distance from them and several other of my male co-workers felt the same. Whenever I walked into a room where there were several females the conversation just stopped and not another word was said.

Over the next decade or so almost all of the women were promoted around the males and became our bosses. I lucked out and had a good female boss but others were not so lucky.

The women bosses would sit in their offices all day and kept their doors closed while any of the male bosses kept their doors open all day. Whenever I approached my female boss with a question 100% of the time she would just ask me what I though would be the right why to go.

My gut always had a bad feeling about these women bosses and when I got close to retirement I found out why. My male bosses (some were several levels above the female bosses) confided in me that these women were bed hoping with the upper management. They were being promoted because the upper level male bosses were afraid that these women would tell their wife's about their affairs.
Women think with all these National News stories that it's 'all about mens' absurd behavior". My wife worked for a National level bank and women were bedding with married managers to sluff off work, leave early, slack, and my wife "reconciled" all accounts at the end of the day. It was extremely stressful a work environment and because she also knew all the work positions bounced around where ever she was needed.

If felt like calling one particular guy out, and was asked not to do it. ( A foggy field in New Joisey would be needed for a "chit chat")> She developed MS in her early forties. I have no doubt the stress contributed to her situation. Men aren't the only ones, irrespective of repetitive National News hand wringing......by women......and it's never the full story.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
It is just something about her I don't like but I can't put my finger on it...
Have you ever felt like this about somebody? You can't figure out what it is. If it's you or is this other person who is the problem. I rarely meet people like this but when I do and I'm forced to work with them, it can be quite frustrating.

In my case it's my supervisor. She is polite and friendly and all, but I just don't like her that much. And I generally like most people. I don't trust her and I feel uncomfortable around her. Its a weird feeling because I can't pin point exactly what it is.

I think she is unprofessional, but in a sneaky way. I know it sound crazy and that's why I just leave it alone and don't talk about it. I treat her like she is my boss, do my job and don't cause any drama. But I prefer not working with her at all. She has never written me up and I have never got in trouble for anything. So you might think I have nothing to complain about. And you are probably right.
I'm not sure what other people at my work feel about her. ...maybe it's not just me.

Anyways!
Am I alone in this?

I think, as we humans have evolved, we have shed some of our basic instincts for survival. The instinct you have about seeing "something you do not like about someone" is your gut telling you to beware.

My one GF had this insane ability to spot people who were trouble a mile away. She would say she just didn't like them, and it always ended up she was dead on...…..they were a problem in the end. I think we humans need to start paying more attention to those little signals we get.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
We all have our Toby (The Office reference)

Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Here's one that almost always signals me. I think many of us have seen it.

Someone asks you about a recent problem in your life and as you start to talk about it you see a slight widening of the eyes and just the hint of a smile flickers across the face and is gone nearly instantly. But if you are a keen observer you pick up on these momentary expressions.

You realize that the person has taken a personal satisfaction in your difficulty. Yikes.

Does that mean that you're going to have problems with this person or that they are a "bad" person?" Not necessarily. But it's a hint that there's an issue there and that you may not want to share your woes with them.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM

294 posts, read 219,782 times
Since there are so many comments about supervisors I will share a horror story from my days as a mail carrier. When people hear about postal workers shooting the place up they wonder why it happens. Those of us that work/worked there wonder why it doesn't happen much more often than it does.

I had many evil supervisors in the PO but one stood out below the rest. His name was Caesar and he had an arrogance that matched his name. He ruled through intimidation and anger but he could not rattle me and it really pissed him off. He was a short little troll who really looked like the devil himself, evil written all over his face like a halloween mask. I am 6ft tall and would laugh in his face when he tried to play his games with me.

Once while he was speaking at a meeting of all the workers he was talking about his personal battle with cancer some years before. You could hear the murmurs in the crowd about why such an evil person was cured of cancer and it was talked about for days after. Once while driving in our postal zone checking up on carriers his car was shot at by a lunatic shooting out of a house at passing cars. It became a police situation and no one was hurt in the end. You would think a second brush with death could change his attitude a little, no chance he was as evil as ever after that.

While sitting in traffic at a light he pulled up beside me and when he looked over I made a hand/finger gun and aimed it at him and moved my thumb like I was shooting him. It was after work and nothing happened.

There have been many post office shootings in the last 20 years or so that have not been reported in the media because no one was killed, I think they are trying to salvage their reputation and keeping these stories out of the public eye.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Yikes Farmer larry! Utterly speechless that you got to keep your job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology