Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I have no idea what your point is here.

It seems like you're agreeing with me.
Reckless and careless is not always a result of going too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 07:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I have learned the best way to not get annoyed at the slowpokes, either walking or driving is to allow myself plenty of time to get wherever I am going. I hate being late or stressed out by slow walkers, drivers, etc. so I give myself an extra 15 minutes to get to my destination.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think it really only becomes a problem when your pacing is inconveniencing others. Nobody cares if you are slow unless it slows them down as well. It's an issue of consideration. Slow lane. Go your pace, but get outta the way. Let "faster moving traffic," whatever the context, go first. Not everyone is on the same time frame.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I can't stand slowpokes: principally people who walk very slowly on the sidewalk or who sit there on escalators. However, even people who are slow in doing things drive me up the wall.

Are you the same way? If so, why? Surely it's a psychological issue.
I have a very good answer to this that I will post in a little while...

Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Surely it's a psychological issue.
Its part of the "gradual social disintegration disorder" affecting many people - who think its all about themselves.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
One of the things that bothers me about slowpokes is how some them can be hyper focused on some minute thing that they lose track of their surroundings. I was with a slowpoke in their car while sitting in a parking lot who almost hit a child walking behind her car. She was just obsessing over some detail about where to eat after already starting her car and putting it into reverse. After what seemed like an eternity she stepped on the gas without looking behind her again. She never knew how close she came to hitting a child.
Quote:
Fast-moving people can be careless and reckless as well. Why single out "slowpokes" for this observation?
Quote:
It's not always the case some jobs and professions require speed and accuracy. Reckless and careless people are just reckless and careless to begin with and they cant work those jobs any better than the slowpoke . A good example is athletes and race car drivers. At the speeds they are moving it amazing that every contest doesn't end in pile ups and massive injuries.

I had to learn how to drive 65-70 miles per hour bumber to bumber in LA rush hour when I had to be there on business. On the Coors parkway in Albuquerque people driving the same speeds crash and die almost every week. (I was warned it would be every other day) Someone in a fast car sees empty wide lanes begging them the to stand up on the gas.
Quote:
I have no idea what your point is here.

It seems like you're agreeing with me.
Quote:
Reckless and careless is not always a result of going too fast.
Thanks. So you agree with me that carelessness and recklessness can happen regardless.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nobody cares if you are slow unless it slows them down as well.
If you read this thread you will see that there are many people who have expressed contempt for people who are slow EVEN IF they aren't impeding the progress of anyone.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I am a slow walker due to physical reasons and am very much aware of it. So I always hug the wall on my right and am always telling people to come on past, etc.

The funny thing is, they almost never get there any faster. I'll have folks breathing down my neck and I'll encourage them to please go on ahead. Then we'll wind up in the same elevator, even though it took me longer to get there.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am a slow walker due to physical reasons and am very much aware of it. So I always hug the wall on my right and am always telling people to come on past, etc.

The funny thing is, they almost never get there any faster. I'll have folks breathing down my neck and I'll encourage them to please go on ahead. Then we'll wind up in the same elevator, even though it took me longer to get there.

I happen to have a fast pace. Even though my legs are on the short side, they move fast. And if I'm in a hurry, I move at a pretty good clip.

That said, I agree with you. Getting all rushed and bothered at someone else's slower pace doesn't save all that much time, and it's not really worth the aggravation.

I remember one time, I was on my lunch break, looking to purchase a particular Christmas gift, at a particular shop. This shop was located in a historic and touristy part of town, and at Christmas time, the street looks very Christmasy, which means lots of tourists and shoppers.

I was bookin it, walking like my life depended on it, because I only had an hour lunch, a good 20 minutes already eaten up by driving, parking, and now walking to this particular store.

So, I'm zooming down the sidewalk...and I come up to this older couple, just strolling along. As there wasn't a place to go around them (yet) I ended up walking behind them for a bit. At one point, the gentleman notices me, and he and his wife (I presume) move to get out of my way, but there's no where to go just yet. He apologized to me, but I wasn't expecting an apology and didn't think he owed me one either. And that's pretty much what I told him. I just smiled and told him ME being in a hurry is MY problem. Not his.

Soon enough, there was an opening in the sidewalk, and I darted around everyone as best I could.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I happen to have a fast pace. Even though my legs are on the short side, they move fast. And if I'm in a hurry, I move at a pretty good clip.

That said, I agree with you. Getting all rushed and bothered at someone else's slower pace doesn't save all that much time, and it's not really worth the aggravation.

I remember one time, I was on my lunch break, looking to purchase a particular Christmas gift, at a particular shop. This shop was located in a historic and touristy part of town, and at Christmas time, the street looks very Christmasy, which means lots of tourists and shoppers.

I was bookin it, walking like my life depended on it, because I only had an hour lunch, a good 20 minutes already eaten up by driving, parking, and now walking to this particular store.

So, I'm zooming down the sidewalk...and I come up to this older couple, just strolling along. As there wasn't a place to go around them (yet) I ended up walking behind them for a bit. At one point, the gentleman notices me, and he and his wife (I presume) move to get out of my way, but there's no where to go just yet. He apologized to me, but I wasn't expecting an apology and didn't think he owed me one either. And that's pretty much what I told him. I just smiled and told him ME being in a hurry is MY problem. Not his.

Soon enough, there was an opening in the sidewalk, and I darted around everyone as best I could.
Yep. I probably say, "Sorry, I'm a slow walker, please come on by" at least 2 or 3 times a day. And I'm careful not to hold up elevators, escalators, sidewalks, or doorways.

A lot of times the person behind me is staring at their phone and isn't very spatially aware. So I'll wave them on by, and wind up waiting for them to get on board the elevator and look up long enough to choose their floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology