Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,734,116 times

Advertisements

This acquaintance TALKS TOO MUCH! She literally has “diarrhea of the mouth”, will not let anyone else talk at all and completely dominates ANY AND ALL conversations. It has even led to divorce from her husband of over 25 years and estrangement from her kids and kin. All others don’t want to be around her because she will not let them speak and rambles on with her hysterics. In fact, she refuses to acknowledge that she has a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 05:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
There are many possibilities:

anxiety
ADHD
so-called "pressured speech" as part of bipolar disorder

Old 03-07-2020, 05:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,679,171 times
Hysteria?

Old 03-08-2020, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,672,440 times
Conversational narcissist.

People with borderline personality disorder also do this.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:18 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
FWIW I'd be reluctant to pigeonhole an entire person based on one annoying behavior.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-08-2020 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2020, 03:26 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,024,182 times
Curious why you want/need to diagnose this person with something?

Perhaps it's not a clinical condition.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:33 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Curious why you want/need to diagnose this person with something?

Perhaps it's not a clinical condition.
Diagnosing someone else's problems may contribute to our belief that we are better beings than they are.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:55 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,734,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Diagnosing someone else's problems may contribute to our belief that we are better beings than they are.
Lol. Not really. I’m just curious. This is a friend of my mother’s. I’ll go with Attention Def Disorder.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 PM

37,722 posts, read 46,173,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
This acquaintance TALKS TOO MUCH! She literally has “diarrhea of the mouth”, will not let anyone else talk at all and completely dominates ANY AND ALL conversations. It has even led to divorce from her husband of over 25 years and estrangement from her kids and kin. All others don’t want to be around her because she will not let them speak and rambles on with her hysterics. In fact, she refuses to acknowledge that she has a problem.
Why do you think it is a "clinical" condition? You should realize lots of people just like to hear themselves talk . You cannot tell a story around my mother without her cutting you off to tell one more "dramatic" about her. She must dominate every conversation. She has gotten so bad in her old age that I literally cannot stand to be around her for longer than an hour now. But if you say anything to her, then she pretends her feelings have been hurt and start crying.

Drives me freaking insane. But it isn't clinical. It's just her personality.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 28 days ago)

35,772 posts, read 18,115,470 times
OP - I agree with you, I've seen this behavior as a disorder a very few times.

There are people who are just jerks and don't care that they are dominating the conversation, and don't take social cues and people just resort to starting their own side conversations with each other while that person is still droning on and on and on. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about people who have to be vocalizing or their brains shut down. These people are also talking and singing and humming even when there's no perceived audience. They are never ever silent. Even if someone else is speaking, they're making quiet vocalizations the whole time.

I had a preschooler who did that, and I asked him why he couldn't stop making noise and he said "when I stop talking, my brain goes to sleep". That was so illuminating for me. Thank God he grew out of it! Fairly recently I was in the grocery store for a long shopping trip, and happened to be shopping on the same aisles as this other family for about 45 minutes. They had a child who couldn't stop talking. She was saying nonsense things, like peaches peaches I like peaches about 100 times (Literally) and then something else totally nonsense, she wasn't quiet for a 2 second span the whole 45 minutes. She wasn't shouting it, or demanding attention, she was just quietly vocalizing the whole entire time.

Is that what you're talking about?

(But I gotta add. Your acquaintance doesn't literally have diarrhea of the mouth. She figuratively has diarrhea of the mouth. Sorry, pet peeve.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology