Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 02:42 AM

26 posts, read 12,545 times

Advertisements

I do. We would dive into different things like the meaning of life, each others concerns, joys, philosophy, just name it. Sometimes we would chat for 2 hours straight or more and you know what? Time flies while you are at it.

Its so enriching to be able to explore each others point of view, accepting different opinions. Im a thinker and a "deep" person. My friends know that and we we would not engage into topics like the weather. Besides convos on a deeper level broaden each others horizon.

Whats your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 03:19 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I do, but there aren't many people interested to have a deep conversation.
Most want a light chit-chat about nothing.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree as I hate meaningless chit-chat. I'm the one who, at a cocktail party, will spend the evening sitting in a corner deep in conversation with one other person.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:45 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
I would rather talk about automatic transmission torque converters or how differentials work, but that's me. There is a rather limited audience for that, but fortunately, there is YouTube.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:01 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I agree as I hate meaningless chit-chat. I'm the one who, at a cocktail party, will spend the evening sitting in a corner deep in conversation with one other person.
Me too. In young adulthood I found it much easier to have these types of conversations. Lately it seems like differing views are more present. It's not that I want people to agree, it's more that people can get hung up on something and then that issue can dominate the conversation.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:41 AM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
As for so many other things, I'd answer that question with "it depends". It can depend on which friend and also the topic. I don't have many friends but the ones I do have I tend to keep for many years. We have profound conversations fairly often because we know each other very well. If we never got past the more superficial level with each other chances are the friendship would never have lasted that long.

Then there's the topic...a couple of friends and I have learned that some topics are best left alone because our views about them don't mesh well. We love and respect each other and don't want to lose the friendship so we leave that topic alone. Doesn't mean we aren't close or incapable of having deep discussions, just not about that one thing. I have one overseas friend of 14 years. We talk about any and all profound things but we've never even met in person.

I'm also someone who prefers deeper conversations. Never been any good at small talk.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:43 PM

102,196 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
This, exactly. OP, where do you find people interested in more than just fluff? They're a rare breed. Interestingly, in E Europe, they're much more common. Deep topics, but also intellectual topics, like archaeology, aspects of history, philosophy, etc.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:44 PM

102,196 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I would rather talk about automatic transmission torque converters or how differentials work, but that's me. There is a rather limited audience for that, but fortunately, there is YouTube.
So, you don't talk to women much?

Old 03-01-2022, 01:51 PM

1,702 posts, read 782,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, you don't talk to women much?
Is the thread about gender specific interest differences between men and women, or about whether one desires to have deep conversations with platonic friends?

Old 03-01-2022, 02:39 PM

11,791 posts, read 12,027,255 times
I live for meaningful conversations, and don't really enjoy small talk, although it is a necessary evil.

I have a handful of close girlfriends that enjoy meaningful conversations as well but my BFF and I, we take it to a whole other level. We don't talk too often which might make it easier for those meaningful conversations. I don't think you can be in constant contact with someone and have it not end up as mindless chitchat. It serves a purpose but I don't prefer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology