Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times

Advertisements

I just did a little "Googling" and it seems that Willow would be correct. The picure here and the cats I have seen do more resemble the Florida panther except for the bobbed tail. Ok, if what is pictured is not a bob cat or a panther then what? Certainly not a house cat, as I said we have one that comes through our yard now and then. Everyone here said it's a bobcat but now I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
We see bobcats every week behind the house, and saw one big panther too. I have seen what is pictured also, and it is not either of them. I assumed it was some variation of Main Coon: Blog About Cats: Orange Maine Coon

Or a baby panther, who knows...

Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM

I sometimes wonder if the Florida Panther is not as endangered as they make them out to be. I have seen quite a few of those tawny cats, usually "only" about 30-40lbs, small for a panther but definitely not a house cat. I assumed they must be some kind of mix.

I know baby panthers are born with spots that disappear after about a year. Could these be 1-2 year olds? The cats I'm talking about are usually about knee to mid-thigh high (to me at 6' 3"). Very tall, but skinny looking for panthers, and has a leaner face than most panther pics.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM

What Harbor Rat describes is what we see too. Maybe we have an unknown species? Hey, we need to call the wild kingdom people, maybe we can be famous! I wonder also if maybe they are just young panthers?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:59 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
What Harbor Rat describes is what we see too. Maybe we have an unknown species?
What do we call it? A PC/PG Bob-Panther?

Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM

PC/PG/NP Bobanther

Old 08-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
What Harbor Rat describes is what we see too. Maybe we have an unknown species? Hey, we need to call the wild kingdom people, maybe we can be famous! I wonder also if maybe they are just young panthers?
The top pic on this page is the closest to it that I can find: Intelligent Travel Blog: Out of Office Archives

The ones I see may be a little skinnier, but have the tall legs and skinny panther looking face. Most panther pics on the web show them much more muscular, but this one is very close. Same with you nph?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
A possibility is that someone in the area is breeding Savannah cats or someone in the area has cross bred Savannahs.

A Savannah is a cross between a wild African cat called a Serval and a domestic cat. It has the body shape of the cat on your fence ( long,tall and lean ) . They are also much larger than regular cats. Savannahs are supposed to be spotted but depending on the cross it's possible they could lack spots. The are very, very expensive ( thousands ) and no one in their right mind would let one roam loose. But a breeder could give away a cat without the required spots or one could wander off /escape and then breed as ferals I suppose.

Here's a photo- kind of the same shape as fence cat standing next to a regular sized table.,

Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Willow, that is smaller than what I have been seeing, and no spots. It is possible it is a cross breed, but it would have to be bred with something bigger...like a panther. I think you are on the right track.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 PM

HR, that link is pretty much what we have seen. Ours smaller but the coloring is correct but with the short tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte