Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 12:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times

Advertisements

Day 1: Dream come true.
First swim with one of our 8 grandchildren. This pool will get lots of use. Toddlers will love the sun saucer with the splash fountain. Teens will love the cannonball contests off of the raised deck.

Color is coming out nicely already. Lots of brushing for the first 30 days, as others have said. Chemical balance began this morning with conventional chlorine and acid. Salt system will not be optimized for 30 days. We didn't know this. Lots to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 14,099 times
Default gorgeous

Even though that's a little higher than you expected, the pool turned out beautiful!!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Thank you. It was the agreed price, going in. There were no adds or changes once we signed with them.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
You'll find maintenance easy as can be with a salt pool! Gives you a lot of time to actually enjoy it instead of maintaining it. It looks great and seems it's being enjoyed already!!!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Fun thread to read. Its been in the back of my mind to one day add a pool here; I have 10 acres, I should be able to find room.

I know it was a long haul for you, but it sure looks like money well spent!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Awesome MA! Do they wait a week or two to add the salt? I think that's what it was with mine. Within a few days of that, my chlorine level was decent. FYI, if they gave you a liquid test kit, trash it. The 6-way test strips are MUCH quicker! I haven't touched my kit in years. And you don't need the expensive salt test strips. Your control unit will tell you the salt ppm.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM

182 posts, read 240,442 times
Wow, how awesome! Congrats! Is that a triple Christmas tree palm?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 AM

@HH - yeah, I can't recall how long he said before we switch to the salt cell? A week or a month? I know he said a month of brushing 2x a day, which is gonna be tough with my travel schedule and wife recovering from hip replacement. Gonna ask a neighbor if he can cover that 3 days a week. Our pool start kit came with a pole, brush, skimmer, hose, vac, thermometer and a starter pack of the test strips. Speaking of the salt, we were expecting a Digital Nano controller but actually recd a different make/model. After reading an exhaustive industry review comparing about 50 models, I've concluded we got an equal or better model. It's made by Solaxx (in Delray Beach) and the model is the Pure Chlor 15,000 gallon digital. That model produces .75lbs of CL It comes with a 5 year warranty (100% for 2 years, prorated down years 3-5). It gives a digital readout of flow and water temp, salinity levels, free chlorine levels, Ph level, alkalinity levels and chlorine stabilizer levels. and has a The website for our model is here: PureChlor Inline Chlorine Generator and the Salt Generator Review is located here: Full Market Comparison of Salt Chlorine Generators

@lobo - yes, that multi-trunk Christmas palm is one of 2 I bought a couple of years ago from Home Depot. The one in the photo was dug up by a skid steer on the day we broke ground. It survived 90 days with the root ball above ground. In Phx, that thing wouldn't survive 9 days above ground. I got it re-planted yesterday, along with 2 of the 5 hibiscus plants I rescued from our yard demolition. Was soooo great to go from yard work to a relaxing swim.

Still have to re-install my irrigation around the back of the cage and decide if I want to drop a thousand dollars to re-sod or just pull/plant plugs. I've had excellent luck with plugs in the past. I grow Bermuda grass and keep it cut low and manicured at 2.5 inches. Will likely keep a border bed of crushed granite around the perimeter so that I can maintain weed free within 2' of the cage without using a line trimmer.

Pool was 85* at sunrise this morning, without a cover. Remember, we didn't opt for a heater expense, so this will be interesting to watch.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Looks completely awesome MA. Congrats.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times
I used fo like to get in my hot at 100* water then junk in the colol pool in the winter. Then heat up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte