Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaleka View Post
How about all the running around to get the proper permits, surveys, etc., done before even beginning to build? I assume that, because the lot is in an HOA community, it is already to build upon, and you don't have to worry about anything other than your house plans (within HOA guidelines).
No, you still need to survey, get permits, apply for utility hook ups, and get approval from the HOA before building. But your contractor should be able to take care of all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
nope, the warranty is run by a separate insured and bonded company, been in business 25 years. it is provided by the builder but not insured by them................
Depends on who the builders are and how they have it arranged. Plenty of reports on the news of builder backed warranties, only to have the builder not be around down the road to comply with terms.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
NPG: These warranties are underwritten by Insurance Company of sorts.. Like any policy you need to understand what it covers and what it doesnt cover and how much it covers . It's " Kind Of like" when your asked at the checkout, if you want the extended warrantee. Yes as always, its only as good as the underwriter. One way of thinking is its Las Vegas and in the end " The House " wins.. These underwriters are playing the odds. Being as its loosely considered Insurance will the State of Florida Insurance Commision have any info that will help you sort out who the good players are and who the cheaters are?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 AM

92 posts, read 228,832 times
Thank you, Snowtired and Mr&Mrs S. I would love to build, but we realize that we'd get a better deal if we bought an existing home. Budget is going to be about $225,000, and we are looking at the year 2017, when we retire from our Maine jobs. We want a pool home.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Right This very minute existing pool homes at $225K are in limited supply. No doubt the price will be in or around $250-$300K By 2017.. The "Good Deals" if you want to call them that, are stucco / wood frame homes ( No Thank You) and there is good reason they are cheaper..Research research research.. IMHO you want a.....Hip Roof Block Home, just to start....
Quote:
Thank you, Snowtired and Mr&Mrs S. I would love to build, but we realize that we'd get a better deal if we bought an existing home. Budget is going to be about $225,000, and we are looking at the year 2017, when we retire from our Maine jobs. We want a pool home.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Ditto on what MacG says, if prices keep escalating at the rate they are now, you'll easily be priced out of the market in two years. If you can buy now, you might find a decent remaining short sale in your range, but as he said, anything prior to 90 something will not be up to hurricane standards of today and that will be reflected in your insurance or in necessary replacement of big ticket items like roofs, heat pumps, appliances, etc. I don't know how flexible you are, but I'd be willing to bet that there would be options for you in parts of Port Charlotte, or North Port in a couple of years. They also have the added advantage of finding homes out of the flood zone, post 2000 construction, but further from the shore. I know, makes your head spin, doesn't it? But as an old freind once said, "retirement aint for wimps!"

Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Are Prices Rising Rapidly? More or less Yes.. but some markets faster than others..We bought 2 years ago.. we didnt choose to live in SWF's Wanna Be .. Bel Air Country Club : ) .... but... as I am seeing it, (MLS) our home is now selling for ( if you can even find one ) $40-$50K more than we paid.. AND just like ours did .... They all IMHO need updated Kitchens and Baths and most likely floor coverings be it carpet tile or stone. ( Right Across our canal is a smaller version of our home ,PLUS There is No Pool, No Screened Lanai, and Mangroves have filled in the entire waterfront $$ and the asking price is $15K more than we paid..do the math ) Our Home is 1984-7 I dont remember lets call it mid 80's. IMHO Insurance wasnt at all, hard to get and isnt too expensive. But thats relative too isnt it? "Chances are" the roof was replaced after Charley. Either through attrition ( normal aging or storm damage) But for sure your inspector will be able to tell you. Our stove was original I think but everything else was 2nd generation. We didnt care we replaced everything along the way. Yes there is a good chance a mid 80's home still has its original HVAC but most if not all Major Appliances will more than likely have been replaced along the way. Not wanting or caring to be On The Water always brings down the price on identical homes..Heck! Not caring about the Harbor Opens Up a LOT of The Sunshine State to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Ditto on what MacG says, if prices keep escalating at the rate they are now, you'll easily be priced out of the market in two years. If you can buy now, you might find a decent remaining short sale in your range, but as he said, anything prior to 90 something will not be up to hurricane standards of today and that will be reflected in your insurance or in necessary replacement of big ticket items like roofs, heat pumps, appliances, etc. I don't know how flexible you are, but I'd be willing to bet that there would be options for you in parts of Port Charlotte, or North Port in a couple of years. They also have the added advantage of finding homes out of the flood zone, post 2000 construction, but further from the shore. I know, makes your head spin, doesn't it? But as an old freind once said, "retirement aint for wimps!"

Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Right This very minute existing pool homes at $225K are in limited supply. No doubt the price will be in or around $250-$300K By 2017.. The "Good Deals" if you want to call them that, are stucco / wood frame homes ( No Thank You) and there is good reason they are cheaper..Research research research.. IMHO you want a.....Hip Roof Block Home, just to start....
While prices are going up for Florida homes, prices on homes here in Maine remain stagnant. I am no longer hopeful that we can sell our home here and use the money to buy something in the PG area outright. North Port does not appeal to us AT ALL, although I know the homes there are less expensive. Maybe Port Charlotte...

Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 AM

I Lived in Maine for a short while back in the early 80's .. Its was the town of Wells : )
Our house is BTW in Port Charlotte but if you dont need or desire water front , why not consider North Port and Englewood? I went and looked at a house for a new member here a couple weeks ago. It was a couple blocks from Spring Lake. 3-2-1 Pool Home Block built with a Hip Roof. nice neighborhood closer to shopping etc. than me. Well under $200K at the time.
Quote:
While prices are going up for Florida homes, prices on homes here in Maine remain stagnant. I am no longer hopeful that we can sell our home here and use the money to buy something in the PG area outright. North Port does not appeal to us AT ALL, although I know the homes there are less expensive. Maybe Port Charlotte...

Last edited by Macgregorsailor51; 12-29-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I Lived in Maine for a short while back in the early 80's .. Its was the town of Wells : )
Our house is BTW in Port Charlotte but if you dont need or desire water front , why not consider North Port and Englewood? I went and looked at a house for a new member here a couple weeks ago. It was a couple blocks from Spring Lake. 3-2-1 Pool Home Block built with a Hip Roof. nice neighborhood closer to shopping etc. than me. Well under $200K at the time.
We live in Biddeford--just a few miles north of Wells.

We have looked at North Port a couple of times and we just do not care for it. Too many empty homes and neglected homes interspersed among the nicer homes, no downtown area--all roads and highways. Englewood is one place we plan to check out, but I thought it was mostly flood zone, which would jack up our insurance rates. From reading this blog, I see that flood insurance--or any insurance--is quite high as it is. We do not need waterfront--just within reasonable driving distance to a nice beach. How do you find Port Charlotte? It's not all waterfront, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte