Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times

Advertisements

I have always focused on the east coast since first coming to Florida some 25 years ago. Maybe it's because I am from NY and seemed to find more NY'ers on that side. Maybe the ocean waves of the Atlantic attracted me. I have since purchased several houses to rent out (Merritt Island canal fronts) and an ocean front condo in Cocoa Beach and plan on calling this area our eventual home when the time is right to make the move. Recently I had introduced my friend to this area and after two trips down he thought this may be his retirement location as well. He then took his family west to the Port Charlotte area and as a sailor, fell in love with the deeper water and easy access to open water. He raved about the surrounding areas as well and it made me rethink my options. I am not a sailor but would like a motor boat eventually so water depth and bridges are not a big issue. I feel the schools overall may be better (Zillow rates them higher) on the east side, but by the time we move, that should not be a deciding concern. So my question is what are the advantages or disadvantages with either side. I know a lot about Brevard County already but would love to hear from those that may have lived on either side to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
My advice to you would be to rent a couple of weeks in Punta Gorda and get a feel for the beautiful town yourself. My family has lived in Brevard county for over 20 years and me personally believe the East Coast is no comparison to the West best of luck with your decision.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:11 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
You can get a canal home reasonably priced, with access to Charlotte Harbor. The Port Charlotte side is not deed restricted, the Punta Gorda Isles side is deed restricted with an HOA. Watch for lots in the flood zone and impact if the home is damaged by the storms. Many had to demolish the older homes after Charley because they were in a flood zone and could not remediate or repair. We just moved to PC in June, love it.

Water is warmer, beaches better, good schools.

Now as to coming, renting a condo, etc, Oct-April is 'snowbird season' so rents will be up and you have to look around.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 AM

I agree SeaRay35 about needing to visit, likely several times. It took quite a few trips to Brevard before purchasing there and nothing beats seeing the area in person and then knowing if it "feels" right.

Restrain, with regards to the flood zones (not an issue in Merritt Island), if you get some storm damage in the future, the county can require you to knock down your house? Can I assume this would depend on the extent of the damage? I know on the east coast, many lost roofs and windows in the storms of 2004, causing a lot of interior damage (and changing building codes as well as Wind Mit discounts for better protection). Insurance companies covered most of it (then many moved out of Florida unfortunately). But few had to tear down. Seems very drastic. I would be concerned as most of the houses my friend looked at by Ohara Dr. and Leland St. for example were in flood zones. Can you recommend canal areas that are not in flood zones?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:37 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Just check the FEMA maps. It affects the older homes primarily. If a home is damaged at 50% of the value of the IMPROVEMENTS, not the property, then the home has to be brought up to code. Not feasible. Insurance is often enough to knock down the home.

Some lots are elevated and other homes have elevated designs, raising the living areas above flood levels. You don't have to be on a canal to have this issue.

Just check each lot and its elevation. You may find a lot in the zone, but the residence elevated out of the zone.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Just check the FEMA maps. It affects the older homes primarily. If a home is damaged at 50% of the value of the IMPROVEMENTS, not the property, then the home has to be brought up to code. Not feasible. Insurance is often enough to knock down the home.

Some lots are elevated and other homes have elevated designs, raising the living areas above flood levels. You don't have to be on a canal to have this issue.

Just check each lot and its elevation. You may find a lot in the zone, but the residence elevated out of the zone.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep this in mind when looking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte