Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM

325 posts, read 508,059 times

Advertisements

I am not for the so called .001 tax, even thou it is really like +16% more.
That said will the county do something else to compensate for this?
Will the personal property tax assessment go up?
What else will they do to keep funding the "pet Projects" ?

I have only been here a few months and really like the area. I think Charlotte Co. needs to keep the expenses in check.

I don't spend a lot so my .001 tax will be negligible but I still don't like my reps to go all Willie Nillie just because they have access to extra cash.

As a new resident would vote for keeping the tax or vote against it?

thanks

Clint

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 PM

93 posts, read 126,145 times
Well many will argue about the 1% and its Pet Projects .. 40% of the money gathered comes from visitors. You can count that as free money.. The Issue for me is what they spend it on . EXAMPLE: Some dont want to spend on schools , because they dont have kids in school. I have never voted that way and my "baby" is 42.. Some would be happy if our cultural opportunities ranked with the hills of Tennessee. They have no desire for any of that. You see the KEY WORD some, is ME.. One of the most important sources of revenue in Charlotte County is retirees.. They ask for and need very little and support $$$$$$ a lot. Snow Birds do even more..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM

325 posts, read 508,059 times
Thanks Mac, I read that tourist funds were less than 30% but who really knows. The only thing I know is that the % number comes from the same people that is advertising for the tax, namely the county gov't. Wierd right?
I believe that our kids are the future, even though my daughter is older than your baby, so lets educate our kids but I don't think this tax helps them other than building sidewalks. I did hear that some of the monies would go to security but come on this should be in the regular budget.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the culture or political climate of the great state of Tenn., not from there but love the state for the beauty therein.
I am not a "ME" guy, never have been just want to be fair and just, but I am also not a fund everything kind of guy.
I am however 64 and on a fixed income so this matters to me.
I think there is a lot of culture right here, not like DC or NYC or any of the large major cities, but for it's small size there a lot of family things to do and learn from what I have seen in the months I have been here.

So it seems that you may vote to extend the tax, that is fine, but how does the rest of you feel?

thanks again Mac

Clint

Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 AM

281 posts, read 406,483 times
Add 1% now. That will allow more government hiring and needless projects.

Then they need another 1% next year to hire more government workers to manage all the over budget projects and programs from last years 1%. Then add 1%, and another 1%.

Stop it while you can before the snowball rolling down the hill gets to big.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,006,796 times
It's not .001 (1/1000th). It's .01 (1/100th), which is 16.667% over the normal 6% sales tax.

One of my favorites on the pro-tax advertisements is the "hundreds of miles of sidewalks" that have been installed. Where do YOU think these sidewalks are located?? Over HALF are in undeveloped areas with crumbling streets (victims of the crash). A couple of years ago they put in around 12 miles of sidewalks on rural streets that had VERY few houses. "If you build it they will come" is always the mindset of our genius "investor" commissioners.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
It's not .001 (1/1000th). It's .01 (1/100th), which is 16.667% over the normal 6% sales tax.

One of my favorites on the pro-tax advertisements is the "hundreds of miles of sidewalks" that have been installed. Where do YOU think these sidewalks are located?? Over HALF are in undeveloped areas with crumbling streets (victims of the crash). A couple of years ago they put in around 12 miles of sidewalks on rural streets that had VERY few houses. "If you build it they will come" is always the mindset of our genius "investor" commissioners.
Then surely we need to VOTE people that stupid Out Of Office. "hundreds of miles" is that really a quote or an exaggeration? ( I dont watch TV havent for over 25 years..I do listen to the radio and try to read no less than 3 news papers per day) That is an issue , if they are trying to influence realty investments. We need side walks in areas where people are Living NOW not in vacant areas trying to help developers sell lots for triple digit profits.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
I personally believe that the real issue isn't where the revenue comes from, being it the 1% sales tax added on or an increase in property taxes. The true issue is that the county government's spending frenzy. I feel the spending will continue. If they don't get the added on sales tax they'll just up the property taxes to cover the spending. I'm a firm believer in a consumption-based tax (like the FairTax on the nation level) vs. an income or property tax (and every other form of tax in this country). I'd rather spread the pain around so I'm in support of the "penny" tax.

Last edited by MikMal; 10-29-2014 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: added hyperlink

Old 10-29-2014, 06:09 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
.....One of my favorites on the pro-tax advertisements is the "hundreds of miles of sidewalks" that have been installed.......
I noticed they have one of their this sidewalk funded by the penny tax signs along the sidewalk on Collingswood. I wonder why they didn't advertise their funding for erecting the sign that reads "Sidewalk ends" where the sidewalk ends??? That was a great use for our money!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Add 1% now. That will allow more government hiring and needless projects.

Then they need another 1% next year to hire more government workers to manage all the over budget projects and programs from last years 1%. Then add 1%, and another 1%.

Stop it while you can before the snowball rolling down the hill gets to big.
Sounds like sound bites of Media Hype to me ..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,966,099 times
Although it's not 1% tax money (I don't think), the ridiculous airport expansion is a perfect example of the grandiose, wannabe visions of our bureaucrats. The airport is utterly empty most of the time. Allegiant is as likely to go out of business as stay in business. RSW is small, easy to get to, and is itself under-utilized - no "real" airline will ever show up here...if we build it, they will ignore us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte