Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 06:40 AM

18 posts, read 19,638 times

Advertisements

New member first post. So, my good friend just bought a winter house in the Isles and I will be going down there a few times a year to use the place. Looking for any fishing info I can get. No going to have a fishing boat right away so looking for info to fish right off the seawall. I know winter time is the best but that's about it. I have also started watching YouTube videos on this area as well.
I have rods reels and some tackle for salt water but I'm sure I need more, also is it a live bait area at all. Thanks for your help and see you when I get down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 06:50 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,043 times
We’ve caught redfish, black drum, snook, mangrove snapper, sheepshead, jacks, ladyfish, spadefish and the ever present catfish off our dock. Shrimp is the bait of choice, but I don’t bother with live ones anymore. Get 4 dozen live ones from Fishin’ Frank’s, and freeze 4 or 5 to a sandwich bag - just take them out as you need them. Break into 3 or 4 pieces, use a small hook and split shot. Best results are from 5 feet off the dock and inward. Dipping straight down the sides of pilings will get you a snapper most of the time. Keep a rod rigged with a small Clark spoon or swim bait. If a school of jacks starts busting bait, you can can catch half a dozen before they move on.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
We’ve caught redfish, black drum, snook, mangrove snapper, sheepshead, jacks, ladyfish, spadefish and the ever present catfish off our dock. Shrimp is the bait of choice, but I don’t bother with live ones anymore. Get 4 dozen live ones from Fishin’ Frank’s, and freeze 4 or 5 to a sandwich bag - just take them out as you need them. Break into 3 or 4 pieces, use a small hook and split shot. Best results are from 5 feet off the dock and inward. Dipping straight down the sides of pilings will get you a snapper most of the time. Keep a rod rigged with a small Clark spoon or swim bait. If a school of jacks starts busting bait, you can can catch half a dozen before they move on.
Thanks, will need to get some Clark spoons, I see people make there own wire leader for them. Also thanks for the bait store.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:24 AM

96 posts, read 350,274 times
We do very well fishing the docks for snook at night. Just a shrimp right around the lights, but not in the light.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
We do very well fishing the docks for snook at night. Just a shrimp right around the lights, but not in the light.
Any recommendations for lights? My buddy and I were talking about that.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:30 AM

96 posts, read 350,274 times
Any light can work. We prefer the underwater lights, but some guys have good luck on water that is lit from above. Stealth quiet is of utmost importance. These fish are easily spooked. And after you catch a couple fish probably best to move to another light, then come back. Of course respect for other peoples property is of utmost importance. Many of our fish come from 80 feet or more from the actual light, where it appears to be very dark. These are the fish that are feeding. We rarely catch any fish that can be seen in the light. Current flow is important.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:52 AM

218 posts, read 213,910 times
The baitfish/shrimp will congregate around the light. Snook are smart to stay out of it. Once you remove the light, all hell breaks loose lol. Learn to use a cast net. Start with a 6-footer, move up to an 8 or more eventually. Live/dead shrimp, squid, pogies, pinfish, etc. you'll be surprised what you can catch a fish on. You'll be fishing in the SW fishing capital of the world. No better place to learn from trial and error. If you're investing in more reels, I highly suggest any of the Daiwa BG's.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Default Fishing at the sea wall and docks…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
The baitfish/shrimp will congregate around the light. Snook are smart to stay out of it. Once you remove the light, all hell breaks loose lol. Learn to use a cast net. Start with a 6-footer, move up to an 8 or more eventually. Live/dead shrimp, squid, pogies, pinfish, etc. you'll be surprised what you can catch a fish on. You'll be fishing in the SW fishing capital of the world. No better place to learn from trial and error. If you're investing in more reels, I highly suggest any of the Daiwa BG's.
Just so you know, it is illegal to cast net in PGI.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:11 AM

79 posts, read 106,018 times
Yep-illegal to cast net in the Isles-even off of your own dock-go figure! I suppose I could use a fish trap though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: