Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 AM

46 posts, read 56,855 times

Advertisements

I live in harbour heights and i've been seeing these planes almost every afternoon...sometimes there are 4 flying together, other times 10 and last night there were 18. It's really neat seeing them fly overhead...does anyone know anything about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 AM

15,056 posts, read 12,258,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeejan View Post
I live in harbour heights and i've been seeing these planes almost every afternoon...sometimes there are 4 flying together, other times 10 and last night there were 18. It's really neat seeing them fly overhead...does anyone know anything about them?

I don't know any details first hand, but my husband told me he had heard that they're training to fly in formation, probably in preparation for the for the international air show to be held at the PG airport in October this year. And other air shows as well.

IMO it's cool to watch those old planes do their thing.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:10 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,641,043 times
Their practicing for April 8-9’s Sun ‘n Fun Air Show in Lakeland

Gary

Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM

46 posts, read 56,855 times
thanks for the info....we really enjoy watching them

Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,705,817 times
Vintage planes give early glimpse at air show

The sight of World War II planes in Southwest Florida skies this week had many asking if the Florida International Air Show had come early?

Not quite, but consider it a sneak preview.

Pilots with the North American Trainer Association are flying out of Punta Gorda Airport this week for annual formation training. They maintain and fly World War II planes.

NBC2'S Tim Wronka flew along with pilot JP Mellor in his T-6 warbird built in 1944.

"Most of the pilots who flew in WWII spent time in a T-6 learning how to fly," Mellor said.

Planes like that will be featured in the Florida international Air Show this October. The sight of them had many excited this week.

"You get those old warbirds in the air and everyone starts thinking air show," said organizer Dana Carr.

Carr says plans for the rebooted show are going well. It was cancelled last year due to funding issues. The event raises lots of money for charity and right now the show is still looking for sponsors.

"You don't know what you've had until you lose it. The air show was cancelled before and now many really want to bring it back," Carr said.

The show is the weekend of Oct. 21, a change from the usual April date. But if you look in the sky this week, you may get a taste a bit earlier.

Vintage planes give early glimpse at air show - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM

139 posts, read 131,369 times
Saw 20 at one time.Reminded me of the old ww2 movies.i was outside washing the vehicle and almost ran for cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte