Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:44 PM

704 posts, read 772,447 times

Advertisements

So, we rented a boat on Friday. First time since we moved to FL. We now have boat fever - me for sure. Husband used to run a boat dock in Indiana, so he at least understands what goes into fresh water boating. I grew up on a lake in Texas. We do love the water. We're starting to think we might need to get a boat. He's thinking a deck boat - nothing new. Personally, I have no clue. Given that we are lake people and are very inexperienced with the intra coastal much less what might work to wander beaches on the gulf we need advice and help in this matter.

ETA: We are not fishermen; at least not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,826,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
So, we rented a boat on Friday. First time since we moved to FL. We now have boat fever - me for sure. Husband used to run a boat dock in Indiana, so he at least understands what goes into fresh water boating. I grew up on a lake in Texas. We do love the water. We're starting to think we might need to get a boat. He's thinking a deck boat - nothing new. Personally, I have no clue. Given that we are lake people and are very inexperienced with the intra coastal much less what might work to wander beaches on the gulf we need advice and help in this matter.

ETA: We are not fishermen; at least not yet.
If you are not going to fish much a deck boat could be a perfect choice for you, preferably with an outboard

Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
If you are not going to fish much a deck boat could be a perfect choice for you, preferably with an outboard
So here comes the dumb questions. How safe would it be to go into Charlotte Harbor or possibly the edge of the Gulf (like just where it comes into the intra coastal) with a deck boat?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:31 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,633,448 times
Quote:
So here comes the dumb questions. How safe would it be to go into Charlotte Harbor or possibly the edge of the Gulf (like just where it comes into the intra coastal) with a deck boat?
It doesn't matter what type of boat you have, its always safe as long as the weather is good.

I know it's not the definitive answer you're looking for but it's the truth.

Gary

Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
We bought a deck boat, high decked and self-bailing. My neighbor has a center console, not self-bailing, and almost sunk it when the intake for the bait tank came loose and water poured into the bilges...and the bilge pump failed as well.

Our boat has a 125 hp outboard, rides much smoother than a pontoon boat, top speed of about 25 knots. Has two captain chairs and can fish for it as well. If trailering, get a galvanized trailer. Steel will rust in a coupled years.

The Harbor is less than 5' over half the width, with sand bars running out from the shore line. So get either Sea Tow or Boat Tow. If you ever have to have a tow it will more than pay for itself. They say there are two types of boaters along Charlotte Harbor...those that have gone aground and those that will go aground.

Get a depth finder. Helps you find fish as well as watch for sand bars.

Good luck

Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 PM

More dumb questions. We do not have water front property. So, how difficult is it to trailer a deck boat. My husband says it isn't a problem. He knows how to do these things. I on the other hand haven't a clue. We live 5 minutes from the Manasota Beach boat ramp.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Very safe we take my neighbors 24' deck boat with 225 Yamaha 4 stroke outside, up to cabbage key, Boca all over. Safety is not an issue, they are a good all around boat.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
More dumb questions. We do not have water front property. So, how difficult is it to trailer a deck boat. My husband says it isn't a problem. He knows how to do these things. I on the other hand haven't a clue. We live 5 minutes from the Manasota Beach boat ramp.
Not a problem at all if you can back up a trailer.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:31 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,788,997 times
ive had several boats here and now have settled on 2 a centerconsole for fishing and a deckboat for general crusing. when I wasn't on the water I chose to keep my boat in a dryrack so much simpler then towing call the marina and the boat was in the water ready to go and when you het back then flush the motor hose the boat off and but it back

Old 05-01-2016, 07:48 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,006,796 times
Quote:
If you're 5 mins from the Manasota Beach ramp between Englewood & South Venice, you won't be going into Charlotte Harbor. You'll be traversing the ICW South to Lemon Bay/Stump Pass or Placida, or North to Venice. Deck boats are fine for this. Could be a little rough with large boat wakes, but if your husband hits them at the correct angle, it will minimize the discomfort. We are in Englewood on the water, 7 mins from Stump Pass. We're on the water 4-5 times per week and deck boats are out on the Gulf as much as center consoles & pontoons, assuming calm conditions. Today was pretty rough outside of the pass and there were still all types of boats coming & going through the pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte