Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 619,740 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to build in SGC at some point. We'd love to hear your thoughts about what we can do to keep the builder honest thru the process. We want someone knowledgable to make sure things are done properly and that we get what we're supposed to get per the contract. Is such a person a construction mgr, GC, structural engineer? All of the above? All comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:14 PM

190 posts, read 259,697 times
I'd say that the biggest thing would be do choose an honest builder. There are a few. The next would be to not be an absentee client. Watch what they're doing, ask questions.

If you're not going to be able to be around during the build, at least do your homework before selecting a builder: Talk to customers and especially, talk to neighbors who have likely seen and watched them build from start to finish. I can tell some stories about a few builders in SGC that I would never recommend after seeing them in action close up. (nobody wants trash as fill when concrete gets poured, but I watched it happen with one particular builder). Also get addresses of recent builds from prospective builders and look them up on the county website - In many cases you'll be able to see failed inspections and building inspector comments. You can also look them up by license numbers and/or company and contractor names.

There's a wide range of builders active in SGC. A few are great, many are OK, and several are awful. Choose wisely.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM

82 posts, read 91,176 times
Look at Tradewinds. Exceptionly great and honest company and people. They did an outstanding job building our house. No high pressure sales people like the others in SGC. I highly recommend them.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,451,105 times
We have seen contracts for build jobs that are so minimal that the builder could do just about anything and be compliant. Get DETAILS. Specifics on the cabinetry, countertops, flooring, paint qualities, finishes.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM

306 posts, read 391,859 times
We used Harden Dukes, they assign you a build manager, which is very helpful. I'm guessing other reputable companies do also.

Ask about allowances and expected/normal overages, we had a few, mostly our doing.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback, but what I really want is someone involved, potentially even in the sales process, that represents and works and is paid by us. Perhaps, we need more than one "someone", but we want our interests honored and protected. Any ideas?

We intend to find a "reputable" builder but, we still want our people involved.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,156,515 times
A realtor ???

more seriously this sounds like a case for Project management on a cost plus basis....that's what I did back in England for high cost projects.....person is employed and paid by you to oversee each phase of work at cost price previously approved.

NOW, try finding someone who will do that.............................

Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 PM

Our fear is that realtor(s) don't know construction, and neither do we. We want a serious construction professional.

Last edited by stank1964; 03-16-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,156,515 times
Oh and on the other foot, sometimes us builders wish we could keep some clients 'honest' too..................

Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,204,792 times
Here's a start. Read the local reviews here from builders. Go and interview with at least 4 or 5 and do your due diligence. Compare cost, quality of design and building materials, review the contracts. Go with your gut. If something seems uncomfortable or too good to be true, prepare to walk away. Also, consider resale homes. In a retirement market, people are always dying and moving on, so there's going to be a fair amount of churn and you may find decent deals with kids in a hurry to sell and wrap up the estate.

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/...-Charlotte--FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte