Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 03:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times

Advertisements

Anyone have them? Any problems?

We installed them 2 years ago. Bought from Home Depot and installed by their contractors. A few days ago we decided to open the top sash of a double hung window for the first time....and it cracked while opening. Strait across the whole window, cracked on the outside pane.

I assume, and hope, this was a manufacturing defect? These things are $1,700 a piece, and are sold as "hurricane protection", so...I was obviously pissed. My 40 year old single pane jalousie windows don't crack when I open them, and I would expect the same from the expensive "hurricane proof" 3 pane windows.

We are in the market for 9 more windows...if this is commonplace I better look elsewhere. Every company down here seems to only want to install PGT, so I assumed they were good.

Anywho, I did talk to a Home Depot rep today and he says they will come out and take a look, and "take care of us".

I will update this thread when and if they do, either way, if anyone is interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
we use PGT on every home. They have increased in size and sales dramatically and there were issues with quality control, but they do put everything right..then again I spend probably over $300k a year with them.

they do seem to be getting their act together and I think they will look after you for their good name.

you overpaid by going thru HD though !

Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
PGT has always been reputable, but I learned my lesson and will never again hire one of Home Depot’s subcontractors. For anything.
Best of luck and keep us posted OP.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Have them in our home 3 years running and no problems. They do make larger than average width sashes whisk surprises me making 1 window very heavy. Not a fan of buying or having a HD install being a contractor and seeing some of the issues.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 AM

493 posts, read 636,839 times
I purchased 8 PGT impact windows and a 6' patio door from ABC Supply and installed them myself. Very happy with the quality of the windows and the service I received from ABC. I'm a contractor in South Jersey so I'm very familiar with window installation but was unsure of how to measure and install impact windows to meet code in SWFL. They sent a rep out to my house to measure the windows and answered all of my installation questions. Everything fit perfectly. I think the windows were less than $500 each. Very happy with the process and the product. You need to be careful with what you buy from HD and I would never let their contractors touch my house. Mark

Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM

191 posts, read 299,617 times
Don't mean to drag this thread off topic, but I noticed a couple derogatory comments about Home Depot. I've never used them but I was thinking of using them for a couple things. From the sounds of it maybe I better look elsewhere ?

How about Lowes ?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
You will ALWAYS pay more going through a HD/Lowes contractor because they are simply the middle man, contracting with the same installers you can hire yourself. Thing is, you have no control over the installer since they are subcontracted by the big box store.

I remember about 6yrs ago having a HD rep give me a quote on a new 3T Trane AC system. I had 3 other AC companies quote the exact same system, apples to apples, no ductwork. The three AC guys were in the $5,000-5,800 range. The HD contractor (out of Ft Myers oddly) was $8,700!!!!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM

459 posts, read 585,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
I purchased 8 PGT impact windows and a 6' patio door from ABC Supply and installed them myself. Very happy with the quality of the windows and the service I received from ABC. I'm a contractor in South Jersey so I'm very familiar with window installation but was unsure of how to measure and install impact windows to meet code in SWFL. They sent a rep out to my house to measure the windows and answered all of my installation questions. Everything fit perfectly. I think the windows were less than $500 each. Very happy with the process and the product. You need to be careful with what you buy from HD and I would never let their contractors touch my house. Mark
I'm not a big fan of HD but I will say that their "contractors" are up to speed, properly licensed and fully insured, unlike the majority who work under the builders license. Additionally, if there are any issues whatsoever HD will jump in, solve it to YOUR satisfaction and do so in a timely manner. You are totally mistaken if you think their contractors are street trash like you're suggestion.

You could have as easily bought the same window from HD, gone to the pro desk and got it repriced and done a DIY install - I'm betting cheaper.

What attachment hardware and spacing did you use to guarantee a 160 Mph wind installation? I can't seem to find the info.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Thanks for all your replies.

YES, Home Depot was about 15-20% more than the other quotes I got for the same windows. I went with them because 1, they usually stand behind what they sell. If there is a problem they usually fix it. And 2, they offered 2 years 0% financing, which means I didn't have to remove money from investment accounts...and considering how well the stock market has done in the past two years that 15% was more than made up for.

As far as their installers, they are hit or miss. But I am very handy (would normally do this type of install myself), and I watch over the installers like a hawk. If they do ANYTHING I don't like I have them re-do it correctly immediately

So, considering this is what I consider to be a manufacturer problem (PGT), and they won't deal with customers directly (they say contact the installer), maybe going through HD was a good idea? Time will tell, let's see if they make good first.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:51 AM

459 posts, read 585,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

YES, Home Depot was about 15-20% more than the other quotes I got for the same windows. I went with them because 1, they usually stand behind what they sell. If there is a problem they usually fix it. And 2, they offered 2 years 0% financing, which means I didn't have to remove money from investment accounts...and considering how well the stock market has done in the past two years that 15% was more than made up for.

As far as their installers, they are hit or miss. But I am very handy (would normally do this type of install myself), and I watch over the installers like a hawk. If they do ANYTHING I don't like I have them re-do it correctly immediately

So, considering this is what I consider to be a manufacturer problem (PGT), and they won't deal with customers directly (they say contact the installer), maybe going through HD was a good idea? Time will tell, let's see if they make good first.
FYI for next time - NEVER accept the price you're given in the various department. Always take the quote the the pro desk and ask for a re-quote. It will always be less. They can't discount the labor but they will indeed take a good amount off product price. I just bought almost $8K of tile and they took $1,500 off the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte