Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:11 PM

102 posts, read 104,375 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of houses with 3 car garages but the driveway towards the street is narrower for the culvert which really makes it only 2 lanes wide instead of a full 3 lanes wide. Anyone know what a builder typically charges to make a driveway a full 3 lanes wide? Obviously it would be a wider culvert, more dirt, and pavers but trying to get an idea on what something like that would run on new construction or if I'm better off hiring someone afterwards if that is cheaper. Thanks

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:07 PM

378 posts, read 628,970 times
The county charges more to connect a three car driveway to the street so some folk just angle off the third garage drive to save the cost. I am not sure but I doubt that the cost of a three car driveway is drastically more than a two car driveway.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
The approximate cost will be as follows;

extra length pipe - around $400
extra driveway is approx 300 sq ft . concrete at $3.50 pavers at $5.50
thats increasing a drive with the 3 car belly included

if you went up from a straight 2 car to a 3 car allow 750 sq ft

the county don't charge any extra that I am aware of ??????

Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 AM

121 posts, read 148,371 times
I did this at one of my homes in PC all in it was $5,000 additional. Depending on where you are a HOA might not approve this change and the town might not either. I don't think I have seen this in PGI or BSI. At about a 30 foot width the esthetics would be out of line with the other single family homes in the neighborhood.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
The approximate cost will be as follows;

extra length pipe - around $400
extra driveway is approx 300 sq ft . concrete at $3.50 pavers at $5.50
thats increasing a drive with the 3 car belly included

if you went up from a straight 2 car to a 3 car allow 750 sq ft

the county don't charge any extra that I am aware of ??????
So you're talking roughly $2k maybe a couple hundred more give/take?? One builder that we where working with quoted $4500 in SGC, which I thought was insane for how much little space it it so I was wondering if there must be something else to it permit wise and such. If we go through with it I almost thought about just doing it myself with an extra piece and a coupler or something.

I'm not talking about adding an entire lane, just the little section that you see curved in before it turns to 3 lanes for the 3 car garage.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb078 View Post
So you're talking roughly $2k maybe a couple hundred more give/take?? One builder that we where working with quoted $4500 in SGC, which I thought was insane for how much little space it it so I was wondering if there must be something else to it permit wise and such. If we go through with it I almost thought about just doing it myself with an extra piece and a coupler or something.

I'm not talking about adding an entire lane, just the little section that you see curved in before it turns to 3 lanes for the 3 car garage.
You may want to sit down with another builder ahem Pete mrsunshine

Old 06-28-2018, 04:03 AM

A driveway is usually 45' long.
lets say the 3rd bay is 10' wide

the maximum adding a whole extra length is 450 sq ft
when its extending a belly lets say half that

concrete 225 x 3.50 =790 plus 400 for pipe $12-1300
pavers at 5.50 $1750ish

the difference is i don't add a huge mark up to extras, most of them I do at cost. Why. I make my money on the house (hopefully) and don't want to see people going hugely over budget to finish their home off nicely.
Happy customer = happy builder :-)

I recently had a couple stop by, husband looked jaded and tee'd off, wife asked "how much extra for under cabinet lighting?"............husband shout out "just like the last guy , bet every extra is $10 grand" . His face when i said "its included" was a picture. Apparently they had just left somewhere , where everything in the model was an upgrade and all he kept hearing was 10 grand, 10 grand...........no wonder he was done.........

Old 06-28-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
You may want to sit down with another builder ahem Pete mrsunshine

what , you don't think I'm busy enough already !!

Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
what , you don't think I'm busy enough already !!
Hahaha i know you are busy, but never “toooooo” busy to help a potential customer

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM

I think what they are doing is charging for an entire lane and maybe the sales rep didn't explain it fully. That and one other thing are the only items that seemed high. The other was having pavers done down to the seawall with a stem wall and such. They wanted 14k for that. When I ad up the price for stem wall, pavers, steps, etc it seems a cuple grand high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte