Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I got my XM Onyx for Christmas and activated it in January. Love it so far, but.....

This morning I played it in my house when getting ready for work, and it worked fine. Then like every morning, I took it out and plugged it into the car unit, and it would only play the XM Preview channel. Whenever I hit any or my pre-sets or try to manually enter a channel, I get "Channel Not Authorized."

I know I'll need to call XM, but I was hoping & praying to get some kind of answer here first, because when I last called them (when I signed up) the first person had such a heavy accent I couldn't understand anything she said, so I hung up. Then the guy I got the second time was only slightly better. i had to repeat things over and over to him, and had to ask him to repeat things over and over to me. Ugh. I just know it's going to be tons of stress to call, so figured I'd take this shot in the dark first, hoping it's an easy fix. Already checked their website, their "troubleshooting" info, and googled "XM" "channel not authorized" but there's nothing out there.

Has this happened to anyone else?

When I signed up in January, the guy said something about giving me an introductory 2 months for free, but I also set up my paid subscription to start right when the free trial was over. Anyway, that would have happened mid-March, not now in Mid-April. So it can't be that.

This happened once before, early on, but I chalked it up to being 18 degrees outside. When I let it sit and tried it again, it worked fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Okay, I hope someone else can benefit from my experience.

I went online and checked my XM account. Looked okay, but I had not been billed, nor had any payments been made.

I broke down and called them (should have done a shot of vodka first). Turns out the guy I spoke with in January totally screwed up everything. He gave me a 3-month free introductory trial, took down all my debit card info so the payments could start when the free trial expired, but then never set it up to do an automatic payment. Ugh, I could have predicted this after I had to repeat myself 17 times. So this morning the free trial expired, and my radio was canceled.

After another painful phone call with a woman only slightly easier to understand than my buddy in January, I'm only half-way confident that something won't go wrong again.

The other thing that was a problem in January was that the guy kept saying he would set it up to take money frm my account every month or 3 months. I kept asking, "why can't I just pay all at once?" He was totally confused by that, and said that after the 3 month trial, it would renew every 3 months therafter. I just wanted to pay for a whole year and not have to think about it, or keep making the deductions to keep my checking account balanced. When I brought it up again today, the woman was like "oh, of course you can pay for a whole year."

So for anyone else out there who tries to activate SiriusXM, make sure the person on the phone understands English, and that you can understand them. If not, HANG UP and try again. If you end up having to repeat yourself more than 3 times, HANG UP and try again.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times
dump it or tell em you want the cancellation dept the only way your gonna get an american that understands you and threaten to cancell if they can't give you a 5 month package for 20 bucks for your troubles worked for me!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
give you a 5 month package for 20 bucks for your troubles worked for me!!
You're willing to gamble $20 that the company will be around in 5 months?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times
it probily wont be around in 5 months they pay the celebs way to much and not everyones willing to pay for radio when theres other methods of listening to music yea i agree some of the talk programming is good but not worth it to me. ide rather gamble with 20 bucks than 15 bucks a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio