Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Cleveland metro area but I want to be able to get Hot 97 out of NYC in my car. Is there any way this could be made possible? Do I have to get something installed at a shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
If this station is over the air am/fm then using a very good antenna with a power booster (the booster will add a lot of noise) might give you a chance.

If the station has online streaming you might look into making recordings to play in your car.

Not much hope otherwise.........

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
An iPhone using a streaming radio application, like iHeartRadio, tied into your car's audio system would do the trick. Of course, the iPhone and its connection to the car will cost you a few hundred dollars to acquire and $70+/month for the account to use it.

If that's not feasible for you, you'll have to wait a couple of years for mobile Internet radios to appear on the market. I'm confident that option will cost less to acquire and service when it gets here.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If this station is over the air am/fm then using a very good antenna with a power booster (the booster will add a lot of noise) might give you a chance.

If the station has online streaming you might look into making recordings to play in your car.

Not much hope otherwise.........
Even with a power booster the odds of getting a NYC FM station in Cleveland would be next to zero. For starters there could be another station at 97.1 between NYC and Cleveland that could cause a problem or even a 97.1 station in Ohio ( Columbus has a station at that dial position ) for that matter. On a similar note I know its the case with NYC's WCBS-FM 101.1 in Pennsylvania with Washington DC's WWDC 101.1 ( DC101 ) aiming their signal to some parts of that state blocking out WCBS.

But there is still hope in the future if HOT 97 continues to stream online and with the net coming to car radios soon..well there ya go.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
This might help...........

YouTube - In-car Internet Radio

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
An iPhone using a streaming radio application, like iHeartRadio, tied into your car's audio system would do the trick. Of course, the iPhone and its connection to the car will cost you a few hundred dollars to acquire and $70+/month for the account to use it.

If that's not feasible for you, you'll have to wait a couple of years for mobile Internet radios to appear on the market. I'm confident that option will cost less to acquire and service when it gets here.
There's also a HOT97 app, I have it on my iPod touch.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Maybe you can get it via Sirius/XM?

A lot of radio stations are streaming over the internet but in your car I think getting any FM station beyond line of sight of the tower is pretty much impossible.

Good news/bad news - since so many commercial stations are under common ownership, you may find a "clone" of Hot 97 in Cleveland. I remember in '91 when I moved to WA from NC, and when I got here the buttons on the (analog) Blaupunkt in my old Diesel Audi all brought in a very similar station to the ones they brought in in NC. It was convenient, but at the same time sort of wierd.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
I don't think you'd have to worry about losing Hot 97. With the way commercial hip hop is now - whatever is in Cleveland will probably have close to the same playlist and beat the same songs to death at an alarming rate.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I am moving to the Cleveland metro area but I want to be able to get Hot 97 out of NYC in my car. Is there any way this could be made possible? Do I have to get something installed at a shop?
There is nothing you can do, the signal distance is too far away so a booster would be worthless. You have a really slim chance since there is nothing on 97.1 in Cleveland; sometimes during the summer, weather in nice enough to create tropospheric conditions, which propel radio signals a hundred or so miles more than their coverage area....but the chances of tropo being that extreme, is really rare, I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Usually when those conditions happen, I tend to get stations from the south rather than the west.

I've picked up radio stations out of Atlanta and of Florida up in Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio