Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,469,170 times

Advertisements

My Rufus passed away in my arms the other night. I had taken him to the Vet, he had given me medication, told me to force feed him. I did all these things, I begged him to come back to me, to get well. I told him that I needed him beside me like he had always been.

My poor thing got so weak. I laid him in his bed and put him on the love seat next to me. He had so little strength, he pulled himself to where he could rest his chin on my leg. I picked him up and laid him on my chest with his head over my heart.

I talked to him and petted him while he slowly stopped breathing.

I feel so alone now. He was my man, he followed me from room to room. If I wasn't paying enough attention to him, he would stand up on his hind legs and tap me on the shoulder. He was a big cat and could stand up and put his paws on the counter in the kitchen.

When I was playing video games, he would come and sit in my lap. When I would go to bed, he would come and lay down with me. I often watch TV while in bed, my boys would come and join me but it was Rufus who would be loving on and bathing the other two cats. I called him the peacemaker because he was the ONE cat that got along with the other two cats.

It feels SO strange for him not to be here. I just don't know how to describe it.
Please take a look at his Catster page.

http://www.catster.com/cats/464996

My boy had the most beautiful blue eyes and orange tabby points. I fell in love with those eyes when I looked into them the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,289,364 times
Lyndsey, I'm so sorry...I know he thanks you for rescuing him and sharing your lives with him. Words aren't quite enough, but most of us have been there and it is harder than those who don't love pets will ever know. Peace to you - and feel free to share your memories here, we DO understand.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM

22,399 posts, read 29,516,848 times
I'm very sorry for you loss. You will see him again..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,821,436 times
I lost my angel the same way a few weeks ago...she was so weak with cancer she could barely walk...we loved her so much and tried to do everything we could till the very last moment;she died in my arms, per say... My heart aches as she is no longer here, but I try to remember her with her happy face jumping around us, hiding under the sink while I was cooking, behind the couch while I was watching TV, or simply sleeping on my feet where she felt so comforted...please be strong and believe you will meet your dear one one day, as we will meet all our loved ones. She meant so much to me, and this will not change till we meet again. God bless you both.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I lost my angel the same way a few weeks ago...she was so weak with cancer she could barely walk...we loved her so much and tried to do everything we could till the very last moment;she died in my arms, per say... My heart aches as she is no longer here, but I try to remember her with her happy face jumping around us, hiding under the sink while I was cooking, behind the couch while I was watching TV, or simply sleeping on my feet where she felt so comforted...please be strong and believe you will meet your dear one one day, as we will meet all our loved ones. She meant so much to me, and this will not change till we meet again. God bless you both.
I am having such a hard time. He was just always near me so NOW I miss him so much. I have a hard time sleeping because I am used to having him there with me.
I'm single and I guess part of the problem with that is I am on my own so much. I'm sure this is why I am so attached to my pets. Rufus was my favorite though. Really low key, affectionate, rarely a cross meow for anyone. He was a sweet love bug.

I work from home and I use a phone with a LONG phone cord. As I would move about the house Rufus would chase the cord and play like a crazy man with it. It seems I see him out of the corner of my eye everywhere.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,293,784 times
Default I am so, so sorry...

Oh, Lindsey...Please know that June is thinking of you, holds you in her heart, and across the many miles of cyberspace sends a "hug" that says:

Take gentle care.

Love,

June

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Oh, Lindsey...Please know that June is thinking of you, holds you in her heart, and across the many miles of cyberspace sends a "hug" that says:

Take gentle care.

Love,

June
Thank you June. Being at home feels less peaceful, I am less at ease now without him. I guess I underestimated his effect on me. I knew he was a wonderful cat and I sang to him, talked to him etc. all the time but the whole atmosphere of the house has changed now he is gone. Rufus would come to bed with me to watch TV and all the other animals would join in. Well thats not so automatic now. We are working on it with two females I just adopted from an old friend. They were wild as babies and in the time since their owner passed away in November from cancer, they have become a little wild again. It will take some time but we will have our slumber parties again one day.

When my daughter invited friends over, they would gather the 3 cats we had at the time and play with them, Rufus took it all like a champ. Her friends even cried when she told them, they were so attached to him.

I have been looking for a statue of a cat to place on his grave. I am also going to plant a cream-peach rose and some orangey flowers as those were his colors. I also saw a plaque one time that said "If my tears were steps, I would build a staircase to heaven and bring you back home with me" or something to that effect.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,963,722 times
Lindsey, I knew you would post here too. I am so glad you put the link up so we could see Rufus. He is beautiful. Your post here made me cry too. I am just so sorry for your loss. Rufus knew that he was truly loved by you, and I know you gave him a very loving home. The bench and orange flowers are going to be very nice. You will have a special place to go and remember him. My prayers are with sweetie. He will always be in your heart.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM

I will always remember the funny things he did. He was so tall he would come to my office when I wasn't paying enough attention to him, he would stand up on his hind legs, bracing himself with one paw against my chair and tap me on the shoulder with the other. The first few times he did this, I was so frightened because I thought someone was in the house.

Its strange going into the game room and playing a video game without him there. He used to follow me and lay close by to me. If he felt he needed some attention I would pause the game and he would jump into my lap for some lovin. He was just so sweet.

I always laugh when people say cats are not as friendly as dogs. Rufus and Salem used to walk up to new people who came into the home and talk a little to them, sometimes stand up on their leg, sniff them, then of course end up in their lap when they sat down.

Its funny how attached to us he became, we found him about 5 years ago as an adult. He just became such a member of the family. There is something about a cat with blue eyes that I just can't resist. He even let me rub his fat belly and carry him like a baby.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,963,722 times
Cats are amazing. I have always had a cat since I was a little girl. One of our cats came running to us, and alerted us that someone had broken into our home. He was acting all weird and meowing in a real different way. We found the person in our house, called the police and we were all ok, thank goodness.

I am sure Rufus will still be with you Lindsey, in spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge