Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM

20 posts, read 32,238 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been through this? You know it is the right thing to do because your baby is so ill with no chance but you can't help but feel you let them down. It is especially difficult having saved the animal from sure death only to have to go through this. The sunrise that morning was the worst thing I have ever seen. I miss that dog more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
You did what you had to out of love for your family member and yes they know this.
I saved my Golden (Norma) from death in shelter had 8 years of love with her as when got her know was totally abused as skin and bones, scared of any movement and such. She was spoiled lived in house had own couch and love from many.I put her down over a year ago and still think of her daily. It hurts yes and will for quite a while, but think what they would think you gave them love and caring and a good life no matter how long or short, and when the time came you loved them enough to not make them suffer out of our own greed to keep them no matter how much they hurt.

You did not let your baby down at all.You did what they needed and let them go to sleep peacefully.They now look down as running free and having fun and saying Thank You for being a great friend.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
You did what you had to out of love for your family member and yes they know this.
I saved my Golden (Norma) from death in shelter had 8 years of love with her as when got her know was totally abused as skin and bones, scared of any movement and such. She was spoiled lived in house had own couch and love from many.I put her down over a year ago and still think of her daily. It hurts yes and will for quite a while, but think what they would think you gave them love and caring and a good life no matter how long or short, and when the time came you loved them enough to not make them suffer out of our own greed to keep them no matter how much they hurt.

You did not let your baby down at all.You did what they needed and let them go to sleep peacefully.They now look down as running free and having fun and saying Thank You for being a great friend.
Thank you...your lovely. I have a lot of living to do and I have not let him die in vain but I do hope to be with him again someday. I wonder if others think that really happens?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Hello, I've lost them any way you can think of - one I wish we had been kinder and called the vet earlier...one who died in my arms in a matter of seconds as a complication of heartworm treatment (a rottie rescue girl), my oldest Yorkie, Kate, who just seemed to go to sleep with injection but who will be in my heart until the day I die...one who was supposedly at the vets just for fluids but who simply did not make it. I face it multiple times now - the hazards of having 7 best friends - and yes, I think it is quite common to have a terrible depression. I think I went to bed for about 10 days after Kate and Kaiser...cried for months..."could have done more, should have done more"...beat myself up. In the long run, though, you have to step back - I know that in my final days I would hope for someone to be so merciful to let me slip away quietly in the dark and only be among those I love and be ushered to whatever is next on the whispers of those I trust and love the most.

I don't know the circumstances of your pet's death, but rest assured there are many of us who really do know what you're going through. Time will bring peace, but until then you sort of have to ride it out...but depression is a funny thing, please don't get too far down before reaching out to someone. In the meantime, we will think of you.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM

298 posts, read 704,268 times
My heart goes out to you in the loss of your dog. We have sat with 4 dogs and three cats in the past when they were too sick or old to go on. Each time was heartbreaking but such devoted loving family members deserved no less from us. I have always felt that when one darling animal has to leave us it is because God has made a space in our home for another needy small friend (our pets are from rescues or shelters). I feel it honors their memory to adopt another loving pet. Although no animal can ever replace one you've loved and lost, it will soon make its own place in your heart which can somehow ease your pain. Someone is out there waiting for you. I'm sure your late baby dog is at peace and would approve. Peace and solice to you.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM

(sobbing....)

Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellofromme! View Post
Thank you...your lovely. I have a lot of living to do and I have not let him die in vain but I do hope to be with him again someday. I wonder if others think that really happens?
I believe someday we will all reunite with our loved ones and yes our other family members that did not have human voices.
Sam said do not get down to far without reaching out, I say you are doing that here even though we only know by name and words we wrote but we all are family in a way as we all love our pets as family and not just a animal we own.

If ever need to talk and not want all world to see you can alway send a direct message to me and we can talk.

I know on my own website I have a pet memorial so no family member will be forgotten.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
I had to put down my Shasta after 13.5 years together this past July. She always slept on the floor at the foot of my bed, and I had to be careful not to step on her when I got up in the morning. Even though she has been gone for 6 months now, I still find myself carefully stepping over the spot where she slept. I still miss her terribly. Like every other dog I've owned before her, I will always remember the joy she brought to my life. All of her personality quirks and her sense of humor are indelibly etched in my mind.

Two months ago I rescued another puppy to fill the void left by Shasta's passing, but never to replace her. When you live with a dog for several years they become part of your family, and letting them go when you have done everything you can to give them a good quality life is very hard. The passage of time will make that sense of loss less acute, but you will never forget. I am forging new memories with my puppy now, aware in the back of my mind that life is fleeting.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
We still have four dog beds in our house and we only have Chelsea. One bed still has " Ursa " on the bottom, one has " O'shota " on it and one never got identified for Heidi before she died. Ursa has been gone for 10 months and it still feels like yesterday. I got her at nine days old and let her go one month before her 15th. O'shota has been gone for a year and a half. She was a golden/rott/wolfhound and at 13 1/2 she got spondylosis and despite everything we did for her, she was paralyzed in 23 days. Heidi, Ursa, O'shota and Chelsea were our four girls, everything revolved around them; where we were going to go, how long we were gone and Christmas was a big deal with all of them. Now Chelsea is spoiled rotten and everything revolves around her, for six of her seven years, she was the puppy, now she is the queen. We miss the other girls very much, but I know there will be more dogs in the future for me. I look at it as a privilege and a joy to have these wonderful animals in my life, and part of the price is being there for them when there time comes to go to Rainbow Bridge to wait for us when our time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge