Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM

257 posts, read 1,015,116 times

Advertisements

There are already some posts on one of the other of these topics, but I still have questions. I've looked at Wikipedia, but it is a lot of info to digest. Here are a few of my questions. Note: my interest in this is because I think my Verizon bill, including voice mail, is very very high. I guess I could get a message machine again, but it would still be high. It's about $58/month, of which $8 or so is for the voice mail.

• VoIP is digital telephone, isn't that correct?
  • Skype is one implementation of that, is that correct?
  • others are Vonage, etc.
  • Are there large differences between the different implementations of digital telephone?
  • What is the large concern about 911 calls with digital telephone? I see on Wikipedia that at least one concern is that there is no way for the emergency services to identify your address from your phone number.
  • Many recommend maintaining a land line, even if you mainly use digital telephone. Opinions, pls.
  • What other options for landlines are there in North Durham? None, as I remember (I only moved here 4 months ago!).
  • Doesn't $58/month seem high. I'm sure I wasn't paying that in Maryland!
  • Any other points I missed?
thanks, Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
I'm in Wake County and I've been with AT&T (used to be BellSouth) and pay $36 for a landline with no extras. No caller id, no call waiting, no voicemail, no long distance. I think it's kinda high, honestly.

There are large implementation differences between VOIP providers (and pretty big cost differences): Some plug directly into your internet connection, some can integrate with your existing phone wiring in the house, some plug into your computer and require that your computer be on while you talk. Some work with 911 services.

They all require subscription to Internet (IP) services.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

further confusion: It seems some of these use your computer & some (e.g., TWC) use your telephone -- to talk & hear. So, I guess my first statement above
Quote:
VoIP is digital telephone, isn't that correct?
is not correct!?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:53 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,761 times
VoIP is digital Telephone. It requires internet access. As previously mentioned, there are different implementations. Magicjack requires a computer connected to the internet to work, therefore, to receive calls the computer must be on running the software. Cable such as time warner does not use that same implentation. They would provide a special cable modem which phones connect directly to or connects into house wiring, etc. That only requires their modem to be on all the time. All the VoIP services are dependent on electrical power and an internet connection to work. If the internet goes out, so does your phone service. Battery backups for the cable modems and phones can ovecome the power outage issues to a certain degree. Services like vonage are external to your ISP/Internet providers and are more prone to performance issues. Digital phone through your cable company generally has better overall performance as you are communicating within your ISP's network and the calls are placed from there, whereas services like vonage, your communications goes out on the internet before the actual call is placed, etc. There are pro's and cons to everything. Cheaper may be ok for some, not for others, depending on the cons your willing to accept.

Performace issues would be delays, echos or gaps similar to cell phone service. There still is nothing like landlines overall. I pay embarq $45 fixed price per month for unlimited local and long distance for a landline.

Last edited by Andy64; 07-26-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

btw, my Verizon has NO LD.
it is "unlimited" local, but there seem to be many exceptions to that in the Triangle.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,580 times
Good information here ... another consideration is how much long distance calling is on your bill? The VoIP offerings typically have "free" or bundled long distance packages as opposed to a pay per minute type of plan. Or do you have a cell phone with "unlimited" minutes for long distance?

I'm not sure I'd get hung up on "digital" telephone. We have a normal Vz landline (which is analog) and a Vonage IP line. The Vonage line, since it uses IP, is digital. That doesn't equate to better sound quality since VoIP is very sensitive to the implementation and as other have stated, not all VoIP is created equal. Most, if not all, of the residential VoIP service is not actually engineered for voice. Voice has attributes that actually makes it more difficult that data to transport on IP, hence the sound quality can suffer. Not to mention the power and E911 issues. All solvable, but they need to be addressed.

FWIW - your Verizon service will be provided by Frontier next year after the sale announced earlier this year. Not sure how that will effect your local service.

Frank

Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,761 times
You might want to call Verizon to see what they can do for you. Let them know you are considering other options and they may have a package they can offer you. Ask to speak with a supervisor if necessary.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Sorry, missed your latest post about LD while typing mine ... Unfortunately local for Vz is very restricted due to the other phone companies in nearby areas. So you do pay "tri-wide" per minute rates to call Raleigh from Durham. VoIP would not have those charges.

Frank

Old 07-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Last time I looked the Verizon unlimited "Freedom Plan" was $45 per month or $50 per month with features (voice mail, call waiting). Once you add the fees and surcharges you'll be pretty close to where you are now.
I think you can still get the $5 off per month for the first year.

Frank

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
I'd check into digital phone from Time Warner - the new subscriber rate is $19.95/month with unlimited long-distance (and local).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary