Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,616 times

Advertisements

I lost my job over a year ago and COBRA was so ridiculously expensive that I couldn't afford it for my husband and myself. We've been without insurance since last spring and don't have kids but want to and obviously we're going to need to have health insurance. Where do we start? I've been covered either under my parents or under a company plan my whole life- I've never had my own policy. We're both under 30, non smokers, he's epileptic and I have ADHD-- I assume this means we'll have higher rates bc these are preexisting conditions? Any help is appreciated, I don't trust the online quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM

36 posts, read 145,837 times
The only company in North Carolina that offers individual health insurance policies where you can add a maternity rider is BlueCross BlueShield. Most other policies will cover "complications of pregnancy," but BCBSNC is the only company that has the option of adding the maternity coverage, in addition to your standard policy. From what I understand, the rider basically applies your regular deductible and coinsurance amounts to the pregnancy.

I called my OB and Rex Hospital where I delivered my son, and both offer cash discounts for prenatal care and labor/delivery. It would cost me about the same to pay cash as it would to add the maternity rider (with the monthly premiums, deductibles, etc.), and in the event of a complication, my insurance would cover it. Not sure if you'd want to go that route (not sure if I would either!), but it's an option.

There aren't many choices for health insurance if you want the maternity rider. I've used ehealthinsurance.com to get quotes before and it is quite easy to use. The website lets you sort out different policy options. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM

569 posts, read 1,981,403 times
You should be aware that the online quotes are only correct if you are in perfect health and have never had any health problems. The only way to find out a real cost is to actually apply for the insurance, and if you have health issues now or in the past the actual cost could skyrocket.

If you are denied insurance or the cost is much higher because of pre-existing conditions, then NC has a high risk pool for insurance. Since you have not had insurance for 6 months you would also qualify for the new federal risk pool if you have pre-existing conditions. In NC, both programs are administered by Inclusive Health. Inclusive Health - Insuring Individuals with Medical Conditions

Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM

85 posts, read 124,144 times
If you are in good health - Assurant has decent rates BUT you must be in perfect health. State farm agents handle Assurant

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM

82 posts, read 241,783 times
Default maternity insurance...

the poster westglub's info is right about bcbs/maternity coverage. if you are going with them for maternity, look very carefully into the policy..you may have to have their individual policy for a certain amount of time before you can add maternity. we use bcbs & added maternity coverage just over 9 years ago. back then you had to add the maternity coverage BEFORE you were pregnant. for us, it worked out ok, but for another lady i know, she paid for nearly 14 months of maternity coverage before she got pregnant. on top of that, the coverage was highly expensive....i vaguely remember that our rate went up at least $250 a month. after our 1st baby was born, i did some number crunching & had we been able to shell out cash to cover the entire pregnancy (nonrisk/noncomplicated delivery), we would have saved a ton of money....

unless your job situation changes, because of the gap you have had in coverage, you would probably be better off applying for a program. again, if the job sitch doesnt change & you become pregnant, you could apply for state coverage...the only way you wont qualify is if your spouse makes too much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary