Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Well the people who are dumping their trash out of their vehicles are those with a lesser education and lesser economic means...obviously they cant afford to have garbage collection and aren't educated enough to respect the environment and take their trash to the free recycling centers that every town has. I see everything from Mickey D's trash to old mattresses...tires..oil cans furniture...refrigerators,tvs' you name it. Just take a drive around the beltline roads and look. Not trying to flame anyone ..its just a fact of life here.
However...in the past...NC used to win all types of awards on our beatiful roadways. And in the last few years, I have noticed much more trash on those beautiful roadways. I've also notice grafitti when we never had that. So, WHO is responsbile... (I have lots of emotions on the subject!!!).

Vicki

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
[quote=Alf_Rocks;15149236]This thread started out as a "personal" rant. The OP did not willingly relocate to NC, so she was bound to be unhappy here. I imagine that she would hate anywhere she moved to given that she faced personal issues that are not location-specific.[/QUOTE

Agreed. The OP is also ending a relationship as part of the move. So, I take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM

448 posts, read 851,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I must agree....people who move to this area from the Northeast...absoulutely love it....while others who move from the west coast ie, Cali/Denver/Phoenix despise it.....Everyone I know that migrated to NC during the 'boom year' from the westcoast moved back...From what I gathered..not enough opportunity or not diverse enough....Nothing to do.
I lived in NY for the first 30 years of my life. I moved to PHX and it was very different. I found that I really enjoyed living here. My fiance on the other hand, moved here from Raleigh and hates it. We are in the process of looking to move to Raleigh. I have been there a couple of times. Most of my family is in NY so to me moving further east will be a nice change of pace. However, I am scouring these boards for more information. My fiance will already have a job when we move and I will start looking towards the end of the upcoming school year.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Of course it is personal to the OP, it is her life!

I am in the same boat as the OP, my wife loves NC and I am not a fan of it at all. I don't like the commuter mentality of the Raleigh area and I miss the charm and beauty of New England. This place has never felt like home. I have also found that the people in New England are far more friendly. And as far as being cheaper, I think that is the biggest fallacy in the world. Yes, my house and taxes are cheaper but I make far less (in IT) and I find all kinds of little things adding up here. You get what you pay for too. Shoddy construction and small lots.

I am making the best of it and doing what I have to do to get by but it is my long term goal to get back to the CT area.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
I lived in NY for the first 30 years of my life. I moved to PHX and it was very different. I found that I really enjoyed living here. My fiance on the other hand, moved here from Raleigh and hates it. We are in the process of looking to move to Raleigh. I have been there a couple of times. Most of my family is in NY so to me moving further east will be a nice change of pace. However, I am scouring these boards for more information. My fiance will already have a job when we move and I will start looking towards the end of the upcoming school year.
Hi there...was reading your post....I myself am in your boat....I have been in NC may whole 39 years.....looking at Phoenix...Can you tell me about your experience with Phoenix...Have been for biz and pleasure....Absolutely fabulous.......

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
[quote=rnc2mbfl;15150103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
This thread started out as a "personal" rant. The OP did not willingly relocate to NC, so she was bound to be unhappy here. I imagine that she would hate anywhere she moved to given that she faced personal issues that are not location-specific.[/QUOTE

Agreed. The OP is also ending a relationship as part of the move. So, I take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
I don't think this diminishes the value of her opinion.
People use this forum as a resource for varying opinions of the area.

I think it is a good thing that some people are willing to share their non-nirvana views.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM

122 posts, read 288,585 times
Alf_Rocks, only have a second, I moved here with an open mind. I came willingly. Just wanted to clarify that.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
Alf_Rocks, only have a second, I moved here with an open mind. I came willingly. Just wanted to clarify that.
My bad. I assumed that because your husband lost his job and took a job here, that you basically had no choice but to "follow." Sorry...

Good luck with the move and the divorce. I hope you find what you are looking for back in IA. Everyone deserves happiness. Sorry NC was not a fit for you.

Last edited by Alf_Rocks; 07-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spelling...

Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We moved from Cali 4 years ago and absolutely love it. Enough to do if you look for things to do.

Good luck with your move IApony!
just curious cncsmomndad, which part of the triangle did you move to? We just moved last month and feeling quite lost here.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM

360 posts, read 995,867 times
I am not really fond of NC either, been here for 5 years though and don't really have a plan for escaping yet There are a lot of things I do like about the area though, for one I love the local bands that frequent bars like the Pour House and Slim's. I also love the selection of restaurants, even if most of them have been disappointing so far, but I have found quite a few that are great! The shopping is okay, I actually think it's a little overkill though, it seems like every little community has to have a huge shopping center with the same stores that are in the next little community 10 miles down the road, plus why this area needs so many pharmacies I will never know But the things that make me want to move somewhere else include the heat and humidity, the traffic, the "fakeness" of the nicer parts of the triangle, and the people who seem to be way more judgemental and shallow than any other part of the country I've been to. That being said, my job is really speciallized and nobody is hiring, so I probably will be here for many years to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary