Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 30,181 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have an interview with UNC-CH on Tuesday for a position that I'm very excited about, but am starting to have some doubts as I search for potential childcare centers for our soon-to-be three year old son.

It appears all of the well regarded centers run anywhere from $1000-1400 per month....which is incredibly high in relation to what we pay now just outside Athens, GA. In my previous research of the two areas, I recall Chapel Hill and Athens having very much the same general cost of living, so I found this a bit shocking. We are currently paying $145 per week with a 10% discount for paying by the month and this is at a very new (one year old), very well designed facility with excellent and diverse programs, fantastic teachers and top-notch equipment for the kids. The owners spared no expense and have quickly developed this center into one of the best in our area.

I just can't get over the price difference between here and there. It seems unreal and this may, unfortunately, be the nail in the proverbial coffin on any idea I may have to take this job if offered. Are these tuition fees really this high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM

69 posts, read 163,667 times
There are cheaper options available if you look around, but childcare/preschool is not cheap around here, or anywhere else I've lived for that matter. For instance, I believe Kids R Kids, which is well-regarded and has a center in Durham, is around $900 per month. I know that's much more than you were paying previously, but it's also much less than $1400. You could look at churches, which tend to provide high-level childcare, but are often much cheaper.

There's also a place called Victory Village Day Care Center for children of UNC-Ch hospital and university employees: Victory Village Day Care Center, University Child Care Center, UNC Chapel Hill It's around the same cost as Kids R Kids, but it's probably more conveniently located for you.

You can also check this link to help with your research:
NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krististrange View Post
There are cheaper options available if you look around, but childcare/preschool is not cheap around here, or anywhere else I've lived for that matter. For instance, I believe Kids R Kids, which is well-regarded and has a center in Durham, is around $900 per month. I know that's much more than you were paying previously, but it's also much less than $1400. You could look at churches, which tend to provide high-level childcare, but are often much cheaper.
Just for comparison, here's one local church that has a preschool program at $320 a month. (I know nothing more about their program than is on the website.) There must be others.

Preschool | Orange United Methodist Church

Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:

There's also a place called Victory Village Day Care Center for children of UNC-Ch hospital and university employees: Victory Village Day Care Center, University Child Care Center, UNC Chapel Hill It's around the same cost as Kids R Kids, but it's probably more conveniently located for you.

You can also check this link to help with your research:
NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care
Thanks to both of you for the info! The church route might offer a good option. Not sure yet. It looks like that one in particular only offers care from 9:00am-12:15pm, which wouldn't work for us. Our facility now is 6:30a-6:30p and it works out great for us since we go in to work at 8a and often don't make it to pick our son up until close to 6p.

We have Kids-R-Kids here, too and they run about $175/wk. Only here, they are not that well thought of when compared to other options. I have also looked at Victory Village, but they, too, are over $1000/mo. I don't know if there's some type of discount for UNC employees or not. The McPhaul Center at UGA (my current employer) is pretty much the same type of facility and they are $185/wk. and employees do not receive discounts, only preference for admission.

Unfortunately, if I'm looking at being stuck with $500+ extra dollars per month on childcare (and we're planning for another child by next year which would push that to $1000+ extra a month) the raise I would be taking in the move would be pretty much wiped out.

ARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM

69 posts, read 163,667 times
And now you understand why I'm a stay-at-home mother. Two children in full-time daycare would run us upwards of $1800 a month, and that is simply not worth it in our case. Sure, I'd make a decent salary in my field, but the little extra money I would bring in (after paying childcare) is not worth the cost of having someone else raise my children. It's a personal and financial decision, but the financial aspects certainly make for a good argument for staying at home.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
And now you understand why I'm a stay-at-home mother. Two children in full-time daycare would run us upwards of $1800 a month, and that is simply not worth it in our case. Sure, I'd make a decent salary in my field, but the little extra money I would bring in (after paying childcare) is not worth the cost of having someone else raise my children. It's a personal and financial decision, but the financial aspects certainly make for a good argument for staying at home.
Believe me, I hear you! I wish we had that option, but it just isn't feasible at this point. That said, it definitely would be if child care was costing us $1800 a month! OUCH!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
UNC has their own Day care for employees of both the hospital and the university. My wife works at the undergraduate business school at UNC (Kenan-Flagler)...

At any rate, here is their website. -> Victory Village Day Care Center, University Child Care Center, UNC Chapel Hill

Best of luck in your interview!
Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary