Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 AM

229 posts, read 704,109 times

Advertisements

Coming from the SF Bay Area, I can tell you that there are NO snobs in Raleigh or Cary lol. Preston is definitely nice, but it's not what I would consider snobsville. Back at home I could stand in parking lots full of cars which are EACH worth more than a home in Preston. Ask any of the owners of those cars what they do for a living and they'll gladly babble on about how important they or their company are. That's snobsville!

I actually quite enjoy visiting restaurants near Preston, since they actually have good food. The people seem very friendly and well mannered honestly. My quintessential test for snobs is to look for Cadillac Escalades, or tailgaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 AM

476 posts, read 1,297,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Good for you. Certainly not seeking that, just an observation. I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to seek that.
Some of us just like the extra feeling of security (safety) that comes along with having a gate and a guard. Not that this area is unsafe at all, it is just for peace of mind. Nothing to do with snobbery at all. However, it's a moot point anyway because there aren't too many gated communities to choose from here.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

90 posts, read 219,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Sizing people up based on their cars is rediculous. A lot of people with real money (old money) drive very conservative practical cars and certainly don't flaunt the fact that they have money. Many live in very conservative homes as well. Look at Warren Buffet for example. His lifestlye is very plebian compared to what he could really afford but he doesn't have to PROVE anything to anyone. I think it is all just a mind set. If people need to see you driving a late model BMW to accept you, you probably wouldn't care to be their friend anyway and they probably aren't worthy of your friendship either.
Although Warren Buffet's house is modest for a billionaire, it is not a modest home by traditional standards. The house he bought in 1958 for $31,500 has 5 bedrooms and 6234 square feet. It had a tax value of around $700,000 in 2005.

I doubt I would move from a family home of that size and comfort either.

Also, he owned a $7,000,000 vacation home in Orange County, CA.

Last edited by Toonces07; 10-20-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 25,477 times
I strongly urge you and your husband to do some serious research about unemployment in North Carolina...it is rising dramatically. I would not recommend moving here without a job...but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,393 times
I live in the Brier Creek area of Raleigh and it is a nice area --- close to shopping, the airport, interestates, Durham, etc. I love this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary