Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 AM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times

Advertisements

Performance has been having great sales all summer especially on the 2009 models but I'm sure once the season is over the sales will be even better. You might check out the Performance website though to see if you can find a good deal right now. They have free ship to store on their bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Performance has been having great sales all summer especially on the 2009 models but I'm sure once the season is over the sales will be even better. You might check out the Performance website though to see if you can find a good deal right now. They have free ship to store on their bikes.
Yes, I saw that yesterday when I went to their website. They did not sell the 2 brands that I was considering buying (Gary Fisher or Specialized) but they did sell other brands. I'd have to see how well those other brands stacked up.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Department store bikes are a false economy. For an adult they are almost never worth it. Buy a good used bike on Craigslist.
The problem that I have with Craigslist is that finding the type of bike that I want in my size will be a slow process. I'd have to go to a bike shop anyway and see what size frame I need. . . .and that may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. . . .before I start shopping on Craigslist.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The reason that I want to get a mountain bike this time instead of a road bike is because I enjoy the natural surroundings of the woods more than the streets. I discovered the joys of trail running once I moved to NC and I think that I would enjoy mountain biking in the same way.

To be honest, the bike will also be used for riding on the neighborhood street and greenways with my son as he gets better at riding his bicycle.
You might take a look at the Gary Fisher Kaitai.

Kaitai | Gary Fisher Bicycles (http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/kaitai - broken link)

Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
Quote:
But they still have drop handlebars? How can you ride a single track with drop handlebars? Seems like there would not be enough leverage to hold the wheel straight as you are bouncing off of rocks and roots.

What are "direct pull" brakes? I'm seeing many MTBs with disc brakes. I remember the old brakes being cable pull (either from the side or the center).
They also have brake levers on the top (in addition to the drops) like a MTB. The only downside is that the shifters are only in the drops. And, direct pull are the same thing as the ole' side cabled ones. Disk brakes are superior for heavy mud/water...although I rode MTB in lots of hairy trails with no problem in the pre-disk brake days. For some reason, cyclocross races do not allow disk brakes. (Perhaps I should mention that the sport is affectionately known as psycho-cross.)

If you're pretty sure you're looking a bike for mostly dirt single track usage, especially in technical spots (e.g., rocks, jumps, steep descents, etc.), then a MTB is your best bet. But, if you plan to do a mix of surfaces biased towards paved or gravel trails with some smooth singletrack thrown in (and if you're a bit of a bike geek) then the cyclocross bike is a nice option. Although, it's not for everyone.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, I saw that yesterday when I went to their website. They did not sell the 2 brands that I was considering buying (Gary Fisher or Specialized) but they did sell other brands. I'd have to see how well those other brands stacked up.
What kind of components are you looking for? Carbon or Aluminum frame with Carbon fork?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
If you're pretty sure you're looking a bike for mostly dirt single track usage, especially in technical spots (e.g., rocks, jumps, steep descents, etc.), then a MTB is your best bet. But, if you plan to do a mix of surfaces biased towards paved or gravel trails with some smooth singletrack thrown in (and if you're a bit of a bike geek) then the cyclocross bike is a nice option. Although, it's not for everyone.
I think that I like the "dual-sport" option that a PP recommended better than the "cyclocross" option. Seems too close to a road bike. I especially don't like the shifters on the drops.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
What kind of components are you looking for? Carbon or Aluminum frame with Carbon fork?
I have no preference. I just want a quality bike. I'm not racing it or anything, so I don't need exotic materials to shave a few ounces.

But we're really getting off topic. Let's get back to my original question. . . . . when are the sales?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

You can get a $1000 Scattante R-330 or X-330 in that range. I think they are something like $650 right now and then this weekend (starting on Friday) they are doing an extra 15% off. They have a $800 Fuji Absolute for around $500 as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,069 times
No problem. Post on here where you have found to ride, and what you thought. I will be looking for good trails as soon as I get down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary