Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM

212 posts, read 1,017,114 times

Advertisements

We purchased one of the restaurant.com coupons and where planning to go to what was our favorite Indian restaurant in the area. We called to see if they'd take the coupon Togo or just dine in. The person that answered the phone asked me if it was the $25 or $50, I told him it was the $25 and I was quickly told they no longer accept the coupon/gift certificate. I replied I just bought it last week. The guy said yes we stop taking them and to call restaurant.com

I went on restaurant.com website and they where still selling this certificate.
I quickly called restaurant.com and they refunded my money in form of vouchers. The agent I spoke to said they have a contract with them and can't decide to all of sudden not accept it.

Just want to make this aware to others that may have bought this gift certificate, watch out for these scammers. Its just poor business practice to use restaurant.com for marketing then just decide not to use the coupons to make a bigger profit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM

222 posts, read 545,964 times
That stinks. I do love their food, though! Very yummy!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
this is amazing...i just bought saffron $25 GC from restaurant.com too.....it is indeed poor business practice.......either saffron should inform restaurant.com and remove the listing immediately or saffron should honor the $25 GC

and good thing you asked first...what if a customer dines and gets the bill in the end expecting the GC to be valid.......UH OH

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
Umm, if I had bought one of these and found out they weren't valid, I would have still gone, presented it at the end, and when stated "not valid" I would have said sorry but it was when I bought it, leave the amount it should be after the $25 is deducted, and leave. I have actually done this before in the exact same situation with a restaurant.com $25 certificate. This was about 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
this is amazing...i just bought saffron $25 GC from restaurant.com too.....it is indeed poor business practice.......either saffron should inform restaurant.com and remove the listing immediately or saffron should honor the $25 GC

and good thing you asked first...what if a customer dines and gets the bill in the end expecting the GC to be valid.......UH OH

Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Umm, if I had bought one of these and found out they weren't valid, I would have still gone, presented it at the end, and when stated "not valid" I would have said sorry but it was when I bought it, leave the amount it should be after the $25 is deducted, and leave. I have actually done this before in the exact same situation with a restaurant.com $25 certificate. This was about 3 years ago.
Aren't you suppose to present the certificate before your order? I've always done so, it's in the rules right?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
this could be risky....as one time I was at QShack and ordered and they made the food and when I was about to pay at the counter, they said they no longer accepted the GCs........so I just walked away and they were stuck with the food

i did not feel bad because I had a legit GC, their GCs were still listed on restaurant.com, and QShack had no sign anywhere in their restaurant stating they no longer accepted the GCs

the least these restaurants could do is post a sign on their door or counter stating that the GCs are no longer accepted

Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM

360 posts, read 995,949 times
Most of the certificates don't stipulate you show the certificate beforehand, so yeah it would suck to go in and order extras to get to the minimum amount (usually $35 on a $25 certificate) and then find out they won't take it. This happened to me once before too, when a restaurant changed names but was still owned by the same people. Just so you know, Ichiban Sushi in Apex is no longer taking Restaurant.com certificates either, and they are still for sale the last time I checked.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Most of the certificates don't stipulate you show the certificate beforehand, so yeah it would suck to go in and order extras to get to the minimum amount (usually $35 on a $25 certificate) and then find out they won't take it. This happened to me once before too, when a restaurant changed names but was still owned by the same people. Just so you know, Ichiban Sushi in Apex is no longer taking Restaurant.com certificates either, and they are still for sale the last time I checked.
Oh ok, I haven't used restaurant.com in a while since Groupon and LivingSocial have come around, so things may have changed. These are much better deals than restaurant.com!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM

360 posts, read 995,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Oh ok, I haven't used restaurant.com in a while since Groupon and LivingSocial have come around, so things may have changed. These are much better deals than restaurant.com!
I don't see how they are better deals really. Restaurant.com has an 80% off code at least once a month, so you can buy $25 certificates which normally cost $10 for only $2. So in essence you pay the $2 for the cert, and usually you have to buy an additional amount of $10 worth of food, so total cost for $35 worth of food is only $12, which is a 66% discount, better than Groupon's 50% discounts. However I do feel better about using a Groupon for food, because I at least know the restaurant is getting some money out of the deal

Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,845 times
Are they valid for the Chapel Hill location or the Morrisville location? I was excited when I saw Saffron being offered as one of the deals recently, then when I looked closely, I saw it was for the Chapel Hill location - which would not work for us? If the restaurant.com coupon says for the Morrisville location, and they still don't accept it, then restaurant.com should reimburse you...bad business practice on both ends - the restaurant for ofering them and then changing their minds, and restaurant.com for not taking action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary