Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times

Advertisements

Carol Silverstein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrl View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel more comfortable having it done by an attorney.
It is best to be prepared before you meet with the attorney, having already thought you how you want to handle your assets, etc. nolo.com has some great books available if you want to do it on your own, but reading through them will help you get prepared.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
My wife and I have used the Wiggen Law Group in Durham, owned by Dori and Jack Wiggen. We hired Dori earlier this year and she helped us tremendously with some questions we had in this area. Nice people and great attorneys.

Wiggen Law Group PLLC - Durham, North Carolina Lawyers - Jack D. Wiggen - Dori J. Wiggen - WLG Attorneys (http://www.wlgnc.com/Attorneys/ - broken link)

Old 12-04-2010, 05:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Jeffrey Marsocci in North Raleigh--his entire practice is nothing but eatate planning. I wouldn't call the process cheap, though.

I'd recommend going on and getting the free stuff just so you'll have SOMETHING on file, but work towards a more thorough casefile with an attorney.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM

232 posts, read 553,369 times
I just had to have an affidavit notarized and went to my bank (Sun Trust)to have it done. I was told that they won't notarize POA's, so I assume they wouldn't do wills either. Maybe other banks will? Also, if you fill out forms from the internet, be sure you follow NC law as far as who can sign as a valid witness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why pay?? You can get all the forms, legal for your state from Internet ( incl. detailed description how to fill it out), and have it notarized ( your bank will do it free ). This documents will be legal, no need to go to attorney.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I'm sure it all depends on your individual circumstance. For instance, for a single person with no spouse, no children, no heirs, no complications, just a simple will, I sure would not hesitate to use an online or software source to create it. As long as it is properly worded, witnessed and notarized I can't see where it wouldn't be a valid document.

If you need to create a trust, and protect some assets from taxes and/or need to divide up assets, or have dependents, or have a business, etc, then yes, an attorney is most advantageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary