Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 PM

128 posts, read 290,376 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're moving to Chapel Hill in February and will need to rent a house. We'll be there later this week and I'm hoping to take a look at a few places to get an idea of what's available and what properties are like.

Does anyone know how fast the rental market is moving these days? Is it likely that properties that are currently available/empty will still be on the market in 6-8 weeks? In other words, if I see something this week, is there any chance it'll still be around when we're ready to sign? I just can't bring myself to pay for an extra month or so if we aren't going to occupy the place.

Any advice? I can't decide between waiting and hoping something we like now is still available, waiting and getting whatever's available when we're ready to sign a lease, or signing now if we love it. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
You can always fill out an application and put down your desired move-in date, even if it is 8 weeks out. The worst case scenario will be that you're out $50 for the application fee.

6 weeks shouldn't be a problem, but 8 weeks may be.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_John View Post
Hi. We're moving to Chapel Hill in February and will need to rent a house. We'll be there later this week and I'm hoping to take a look at a few places to get an idea of what's available and what properties are like.

Does anyone know how fast the rental market is moving these days? Is it likely that properties that are currently available/empty will still be on the market in 6-8 weeks? In other words, if I see something this week, is there any chance it'll still be around when we're ready to sign? I just can't bring myself to pay for an extra month or so if we aren't going to occupy the place.

Any advice? I can't decide between waiting and hoping something we like now is still available, waiting and getting whatever's available when we're ready to sign a lease, or signing now if we love it. Thanks for any info.
It depends on what you want. If you are looking to rent an apartment, there's a big supply. If you want to rent a 3 bedroom house in Carborro for under $1000, it will be gone before you call. If you want to rent a decent size house for over 2 grand/month and are not a student, something available now may still be there for Feb. A caveat is this month will have more turnover than once January starts, due to the semester change.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
One bit of advice though...there will be a rush to get housing sometime in Feb or March (althought I vaguely recall it is March) when all the new residents find out where they will be going. There is a name for the announcement, but again I have forgotten. In any case, there is an influx of medical residents and nurses who come to either Carolina or Duke seeking housing at that time. We ran into this years ago, and much was snatched up that were in the best locations/price by March.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM

128 posts, read 290,376 times
Thanks for the info everyone. I especially appreciate the warning about new residencies in March - we'll make sure we're settled by then.
So far, I haven't found much in the way of three-bedroom houses. We'll be there tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary