Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 13,021 times

Advertisements

Hi I am new to this place.
just as title, I found most places will need a SSN from me to have a credit/past history check.
I go to UNC-CH for school, and I plan to live off campus.
Please kindly advice if there are places for rental without the need of a SSN.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 AM

2 posts, read 13,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidleaders View Post
just as title, I found most places will need a SSN from me to have a credit/past history check.

Thanks!
anybody have an idea?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 AM

260 posts, read 1,191,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidleaders View Post

Thanks!
I can say I'm a landlord and would NOT rent to anyone with out a s.s. #.
Seems to me that maybe you would've checked this out before you got here??

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Since an international student can return home after breaking a lease and wrecking the premises, many landlords will not rent to them without a U.S. co-signer.

Contact the student affairs office at your university. They may have a list of landlords who will work with international students.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,473 times
I have had many international students friends when I went to school in NY. No one had any problem finding a place to rent as long as they put security deposit.
I think you should easly find a place if you are willing to put larg security deposit- say about 2 months.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,047 times
Howdy!

My sister is dating an international student (from Australia) and they had no trouble leasing a house in Carrboro for the summer (all of the roommates are UNC students). I believe that they just had to put up a security deposit.

Just explain that you are an international student and you would like to pay a deposit up-front since you don't have an SSN#. A surprising number of landlords are pretty happy with that arrangement. Generally speaking, international students are a pretty sedate lot and I've not heard of any of them having any problems renting in Chapel Hill or Carrboro.

If all else fails, contact the International Student association and see if they can steer you in the right direction or offer assistance.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 29,225 times
Seattlite has it right on. A private individual (example: homeowner who rents directly to students) is less likely to require a SSN, but an apartment complex will almost certainly require one.

raleigh.craigslist.org (covers raleigh/durham/chapel hill) has a ton of rental listings from people who would probably let it slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary