Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move????
Yes makes sense, go for it girl !!! 15 71.43%
Are you crazy, stay where u are, dont move 3 14.29%
Doesnt matter either way 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM

189 posts, read 507,839 times

Advertisements

QUESTIONS
* Are people friendly? Can we fit it easily and make friends? Worried as both of us work from home and don’t really go to an office
It depends..most people make friends at the neighborhood pool, kids friends at school etc.

* Indian ethnicity acceptance? Don’t want kids to feel out of place cauz of skin color....
sizeable Indian population

Are people generally accepting of various races?
Yes, quite diverse
Also having a good social circle of diff races/cultures is important to us
* Can we get a new 5 bed nice brick home for less than $500000 with outstanding public schools (elementary/middle/high)?
possible in Cary/Morrisville, maybe not in Chapel Hill

* can someone explain the school situation in Cary please (transfers/school board issues)?
School assignments change every few years so you should not expect to be at the same school as when you buy a house, or to go to the nearest school..but Wake County schools are pretty similar, not much variation in Elementary level.

* How bad are the bugs, can I take a run in the summer with the dogs for an hour and come back without mosquito bites?
Too hot and humid to take a 1 hour run except for early mornings

* Weather (assuming reasonable tolerance to heat and cold)
How bad are hurricanes, power outages/ locked in the house with nothing to do….?
Not frequent, but possible ..Hurricane here vs Earthquakes in CA

Many Californians move here mainly for the reasons you mentioned. This area is kinda boring compared to Bay area, not much variety, but the tradeoffs are worth it for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,311 times
Ok...what am I doing wrong? I did a search on realtor.com in Chapel Hill for homes and there are a ton of them for under 500K. I am guessing that the Chapel Hill I should be looking at is not all of Chapel Hill?
Anyone have zipcodes?

I say go for it. We are moving from California(Sacramento area) and the pros are great, I believe. I am not trying to paint a perfect picture because you can't but I am facing this move with a positive and excited attitude. We have friends and a lot of nice things that I will miss and I know there will be a part of me that is sad as we lived here for 10 years.

Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Chapel Hill schools are highly rated but the Orange County Schools are somewhat different so it may help if you use that in your search.

Vicki

Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM

323 posts, read 634,135 times
I come from the CT area, and the prices of homes in the Chapel Hill Area are about the same from where I am. This is why I would go to the North Raleigh area, to take advantage of the less expensive homes. I will be moving to Raleigh soon, and am very excited. I like it enough where I am, but would like someplace I can stay for the longterm with my children. In Raleigh, we have access to great schools and universities, hospitals, mild weather, and things to do down the road for our retirement. This is the way I look at it since I have a child entering high school soon. I believe with this real estate market, its best to try to think long term because its harder these days to make sudden moves. The intelligence of the area also is a plus.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
What are some thngs you like about where you are at? what are some things you don't like? Just asking b/c I think waht you are leaving is just as important as what you are gaining. People that end up not likeing the area is chiefly b/c of the differences of what they thought they wanted to get away from or waht they had back home that they don't have here.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM

40 posts, read 69,607 times
I am sure you can manage an hour run with the dogs during the summer if you go in the morning or late evening. I live in San Antonio TX right now and the last two summers have been brutal. (Hit 100 degrees for over 60 days straight). However I still saw people running (with and without a dog) later in the evening and alot of people in the morning. During the summer, I lean towards morning runs because it is already 78 degrees and 80 percent humidity! I don't think it's that bad in NC.
The bugs, just make sure you wear off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary