Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 73,295 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a position at the VA in Durham, which I'm thrilled about because we've been trying to relocate to the area for over a year.

We have three kids ages 3,5,7, so school quality is pretty important. At the same time, we value walkability, culture, proximity to parks and and kid friendly amenities. Our budget is 300-350K, and we are considering building a home.

I have cold feet about DPS, although I will look a bit more. We are looking for a school system that is strong K-12. With three kids I'm hesitant to rely on magnets and lotteries.

Finally, I'm hoping to have a commute of 30 or less door to door to the VA. AND my husband, who will need a new job, needs to be open to anything in the triangle area, making central location important.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
with that budget Chapel Hill is going to be sort of out of reach--estes hills might fit, but it's not exactly walkable.

you really should consider Durham. It's funny to me that people considering relocating to this city always exclaim how important schools are to them, so they're not sure Durham is a good fit. I'm sorry, but Durham is home to thousands of highly educated people, many of them with children. Schools are important to us, too.

if you get a chance to visit the area again, spend some time with your kids at Oval Park, Duke Park, or Trinity Park. Introduce yourself--talk with parents about where they send their kids. You will find many happy families with kids in Durham public schools. EK Powe, Watts, Morehead, Club, Easley, Pearsontown--kids are learning and thriving all over this city.

Durham has really wonderful neighborhoods and a great family vibe, and it's centrally located for your husband's eventual commute.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
I would agree with dcgirl. Best bets are to check out the Strong Durham Schools web sites, which has feedback and reflections from students at various DPS schools (and is thus a good proxy for schools that have, or lack, strong parental networks.)

North, central and South Durham all have neighborhoods with excellent base schools. Worth keeping in mind that there are guaranteed transfer options under law if you're assigned to a school that has persistent, known issues with school performance; few parents take advantage of these, and there also have been some changes to them (hopefully TinaPDX or another commenter more knowledgeable on these can speak to that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary