Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to this area and have started to look for a new home. Any thoughts on this neighborhood? I love the entrance, but I am concerned by the numerous unsold lots.

Also, what other neighborhoods should we look at in the Wake Forest area?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
You should look in Heritage. What are you looking for in a home and what's your price range?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,828 times
love Heritage !!!! At my price point though, it's a little too expensive for me. :-( it's beautiful there. I will be living right outside it!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Wake Forest is a great town, with tons of neighborhoods.

Give us some criteria for what you like and tell us a price point and we'll point you in the right direction!

Vicki

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,370 times
Hi everyone. Here is some information:

We are looking for a 4br home somwhere in the price point of 290k-340k. Moving from the midwest and still getting used to the fact that homes cost so much more here. We had a 2600 sq ft home with 4 br, 3.5 baths,full basement and 3 car garage -- it is currently on the market for 250k which is 40k less than originally built for in 07

We definitely want good schools as the kids were in a "10" based on great schools ratings. That being said we are used to dealing with the overcrowding issues and budget problems.

We also would like a pool community as we are used to having one.

In terms of location, both of us are working north of wake forest so not looking at Cary, Apex, etc. Given that the cost of gas is $3.42- don't want to make that long of a commute.

We have looked at Heritage and I can't decide if I like it or not (I know that I may be in the minority here.) The homes are much closer to each other and the yards are tiny. I also am not thrilled about the large yearly pool fee.

Any help would be appreciated. Since we just moved here I don't know which neighborhoods to avoid and which ones are popular. Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Sounds like you may like living in North Raleigh or Wake Forest.

Keep in mind that most of the newer homes will be on smaller lots. That is why you think Heritage homes are closer together, they are. Bedford is another large community, similar to Heritage but your pool is included in your HOA fees.

A n'hood like Barton's Creek Bluffs will give you much larger lots, in North Raleigh, but they are older homes, built in the 1990s. These homes may not be as "open" as the newer homes.

Black Horse Run (N. Ral.) will get you an acre lot but homes built in the '70s and '80s.

N'hoods like Crescent Ridge, in Wake Forest, will give you much larger lots but you'll be 5 miles further out.

If you haven't been to this area, once you see the areas I'm referring to, you'll understand much more. You may need to decide if you want a new/newer home on a smaller lot or an older home on an acre lot.

There are tons of inventory available.

Vicki

Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
There is a lot out there as Vicki said. Might try these: Margots Pond, Majectic Oaks, Dansforth, Stonegate, Thornrose, Drayton Reserve and maybe Averette Ridge.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Bishop's Gate was our #2 choice- we ended up in Bowling Green because we wanted a bigger floorplan (4 b/r, an office and a bonus). However, there are things about Bishop's Grant that I wish we had. I love that the subdivision is set so far back from the road . It makes it so quiet. Plus, the subdivision itself is surrounded by open space. Many of the lots back up onto natural areas.
I'm curious as to why people seem to be gentlly nudging the pp away from Bishop's Grant?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,962 times
Just a couple of hints about heritage. You don't have to join the pool...I like the fact that the membership is separate because I'm not a pool person..so like the fact I don't have to pay for something I don't use. The HOA dues without pool and golf are $30/month collected once yearly. If you want a pool, then you can join the granite falls subdivision pool and fitness center. They are a combined package...only a 5 min drive away and much cheaper than the pool at heritage (and it includes fitness, free child care while you are working out, indoor and outdoor pool) I know some neighbors in heritage that do this for the added fitness benefit....or there is a community pool in Wake Forest that actually looks really nice.

There is a house for sale in Heritage that has a very private backyard. It's on orange cosmos avenue. There are no houses behind it...I would check who owns the land and if it would be built on...but most of the land back there is marsh land and unbuildable. It's also on a culdesac...so very private house compared to the rest of Heritage plus it looks like it's priced in the $270's range. That house is very close to the greenway, community pool, and playgrounds. It looks like they bought that house in 2006 in the $340's...so a great deal. If you move to heritage....buy a lot of halloween candy!

The greenway in heritage II is amazing with Sanford creek winding through it. Several small waterfalls on Sanford creek and when you are on the greenway, you would never know it's Wake County. You pass marsh lands, horse/cow pastures, deer, snapping turtles, waterfalls, grasslands, and lots of wild blackberries in the summer!

The greenway will eventually connect to the neuse greenway which will give you miles of biking along the neuse river. It may be a while before that happens...not sure the goal date for completion.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I have friends who live in bishops grant and I have shown clients the neighborhood a couple of different times. The thing my clients did not love had nothing to do with the houses, it was the lot sizes. There are some lots that back up to a natural area, but they are small in the back, and not much of an ability to clear and even put up a playset. the natural area that is behind those lots is protected land, which is nice because nothing will be built behind you, but not so nice if you even want to do anything in your back yard.

The friends I have living in the neighborhood are retired, so the yard was not an issue. Their house is huge, with lots of space for finishing, and it is just a well built house.

So, the pluses of the neighborhood really are the houses, they are well built, have nice finishes, and have loads of storage space or space that can be finished. For people moving to this area who are used to basements, having a walk up attic (much more typical in this area) these houses are a plus. The only downside is the yard space. The pool area is very large and very nice, and I do not know the time line for them to build the townhouses in the neighborhood.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary