Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times

Advertisements

My question is regarding the proposed new I-540 through Apex. I live in a starter home about a half mile from the proposed loop. There is a lot of projected growth in the future in this area according to the Town of Apex website. I have a small 1400 square foot home in excellent condition on a quarter of an acre lot. My question is...is it smarter to wait to sell after 540 is built through Apex or before. My house is right off of Salem Street, which will be the busy road that 540 will exit off of. We could sale the house in 3 years and afford a house twice as expensive as this one, or we could wait until 540 is built (only if the appreciation rates will sky rocket due to 540). Is it actually a bad thing that my house will be so close to 540 or a good thing. If anybody has any experience with this please let me know. Our housing development is currently the only one in Apex that has single family homes in the 1200 to 1400 square foot range for under 170,000...all have quarter acre lots. The house is small for us, but we are willing to wait to sell if we could reap some great benefits in the future from appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I think the coming of 540 is just one of many reasons why that area will continue to grow and appreciate. A 1200 sq ft starter home only has so much room to appreciate. But that end of the market will usually sell quickly.

It will also probably rent quickly, which is important. I really wish I'd kept (and rented out) my first house near the Cary Y - 1250 sq ft, I paid just shy of 100K for, sold for 130K, and those are now 160-170k last I looked. It would have been paid for by now by renters.

If you can rent it out, then why not keep it and let it pay for itself? It will build equity and also appreciate.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
The funding for 540 to Holly Springs doesn't even exist yet - I wouldn't base a decision to sell based on when (and if) that road is built. I also think it's too far in the future to predict what effect it will have on housing values. Plan on the typical 5% appreciation per year, and let that guide your decision.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Here's the latest article I've seen on western 540 -

newsobserver.com | Wake leaders approve toll road (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/holly_springs/story/574897.html - broken link)

I think 2011 is overly optimistic, to be honest. We all know how slowly government agencies move - and frankly, NC DOT seems extremely slow. I'm just glad they finally agreed to install a light at Rte 64 & Kelly Road - originally they said that the accidents there weren't serious enough to warrant a light!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Here's the latest article I've seen on western 540 -

newsobserver.com | Wake leaders approve toll road (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wak...ry/574897.html - broken link)

I think 2011 is overly optimistic, to be honest. We all know how slowly government agencies move - and frankly, NC DOT seems extremely slow. I'm just glad they finally agreed to install a light at Rte 64 & Kelly Road - originally they said that the accidents there weren't serious enough to warrant a light!
The light is gone now and someone needs to teach the people coming out of Kelly Rd that pulling on to 64 is a yield and not a birth right.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 AM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The light is gone now and someone needs to teach the people coming out of Kelly Rd that pulling on to 64 is a yield and not a birth right.
LOL! Those must be all of the NY/NJ folks who have moved down there in recent years. Hey atleast the 540 extension was approved, although I read that construction wont start until sometime after 2018. In government beauraucrat time that it a lifetime and a lot of unforeseen variables can happen. I wouldn't count on home values increasing just yet, however, that extension is very much needed in the area.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
LOL, I make that merge every weekday. I actually look in the mirrors and then turn my head to make sure it's safe. If it is, I get over quickly and get right up to speed (my turbocharged engine helps). I've found that it can be an issue when you have a couple slow rolling buses on 64 and the merge lane is so short that you actually have to stop. Once you stop it backs up traffic on the ramp and people get testy.

I think we all need to take a giant chill pill and realize that life is short and we should enjoy it. We live in such a beautiful and vibrant area, no need to be so stressed out all the time.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Strange bump.

TS,
Wasn't it you who said you felt so unsafe at your Apex location that you would stay in your house all day with the shades closed? Seems weird you would have no issue staying put for 3 years in that location

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
LOL, I make that merge every weekday. I actually look in the mirrors and then turn my head to make sure it's safe. If it is, I get over quickly and get right up to speed (my turbocharged engine helps). I've found that it can be an issue when you have a couple slow rolling buses on 64 and the merge lane is so short that you actually have to stop. Once you stop it backs up traffic on the ramp and people get testy.

I think we all need to take a giant chill pill and realize that life is short and we should enjoy it. We live in such a beautiful and vibrant area, no need to be so stressed out all the time.
Well said. I was on 64E today. I had a landscaper with a trailer behind me....not to close, but close enough. I was off the gas geting ready to get on 540, but not on the brakes. I'm not going to get rear ended to let people out of Kelly Road. I feel for those people because getting off 540 to 64W is kind of the same problem, but I wait my turn.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 AM

37 posts, read 75,077 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary