Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,033 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

My wife and I are moving to the area on Wednesday, completely site unseen. While the drive is completely doable in a day, we are opting not to push it. We're coming from northern NH and I'm considering several routes with the goal of avoiding traffic in the least roundabout way possible. I'm hoping I could get some advice from more seasoned travelers.

In addition, I'm hoping to get some advice on where we should stop to spend the night. I'd rather avoid stopping in a city and would prefer something close to the highway. We are traveling with a dog and cat. I suspect we will stop anywhere between Philadelphia and central-Virginia (I'm guessing I95 will make up the bulk of our drive). I know that's a wide range but it all depends on traffic.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM

279 posts, read 703,156 times
When we moved, we stopped on the border of Pennsylvania. With stops, we did about 10 hours on the road for day one. The next morning was the Baltimore hell and Richmond traffic. After that it was smooth sailing.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks. One route we're considering swings us out to Harrisburg, PA and then drops back onto 95 just south of DC. Adds some mileage but I'm wondering if it's worth it to avoid the traffic.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM

67 posts, read 208,564 times
Suggest that you stay in Mount Laurel, NJ off the Jersey Turnpike- that is about halfway for you and there are a number of hotels to choose from- also helps you avoid the heaviest hours around DC the next day

Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks. The route I'm most closely eyeing goes something like:

Northern NH to Albany to Harrisburg, PA to Charlottesville to NC. I91 to I87 (by way of Rt 7 through VT) to I80 to I78 to I81 to I64 which gets us to Charlottesville. Then we would go due south to NC.

I guess that's a bit more roundabout than I91 to I95.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,652 times
I drive from NY to DC a LOT and I would highly recommend the Harrisburg route to Charlottesville. You really have nothing to gain by going through DC.

Come to think of it, there are lots of hotels in the Hershey area right before Harrisburg that would be glad to have some off season business.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM

279 posts, read 703,156 times
I think we stopped in Harrisburg. We had a triptik from AAA that was gonna bring us around 84 maybe?? We decided to turn on the GPS it brought us around the beltine and back to 95 I believe.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM

531 posts, read 1,983,839 times
That is very close to the route I have developed over the years. I have made this very trip for close to 25 years now! (Rte 302 in NH to I91, Rt 9 over Hogback Mtn in Vermont to I87, then I84 to Scranton, then I81 to Staunton, VA. I64 to Charlottesville, Rt 29 to Danville, Rt 86 to Durham)

I81 is much less stressful than I95, any day of the week. Consider your halfway point to be south of Scranton-Wilkes-Barre. Hazleton has a "miracle mile" exit with many motels.

I use Route 29 from Charlottesville to Danville. Very very pleasant drive and you'll be wanting something like that after two days on the road!

I make the drive in ONE day and it takes 16 hours (plus however long you need for stops). While using I95 takes maybe 14 hours, you will most likely encounter traffic jams, thus losing your time advantage at the price of greatly increased stress. Plus I81 has some breathtaking stretches, beautiful scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc001 View Post
Thanks. The route I'm most closely eyeing goes something like:

Northern NH to Albany to Harrisburg, PA to Charlottesville to NC. I91 to I87 (by way of Rt 7 through VT) to I80 to I78 to I81 to I64 which gets us to Charlottesville. Then we would go due south to NC.

I guess that's a bit more roundabout than I91 to I95.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM

REALLY appreciate the feedback, all. Thank you so much!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,847 times
I don't know where in NH you are, but we have made the drive up to Manchester a few times. I'm a "straight through" driver. We took 95 the whole way (well till 93), drove through every city. We didn't have a problem. In fact the least amount of traffic we hit was in DC. I routed us from 95 to 395 (going from memory here) which took us over the Potomac, Pennsylvania Ave and then hooked back up with 95.

We didn't stop to sleep, though (just a catnap at a rest area). But there is no shortage of hotels from Virginia north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary