Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,096,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And yes, it's spring. It's warming up, things are greening up, pollen is coming on strong, and RE agents are confusing the normal spring uptick with a recovery.
I was talking to the guy who power washes my house and he said that a lot of RE agents he used to do work for have dropped out of the business. I guess with fewer agents there’s more sales left for those who weather the storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,547,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAL View Post
I suppose it depends on the sales price of the homes that have sold. Maybe the $200k market is hot, but I know that in my neighborhood there are 6 homes for sale, and 3 have been on the market for over 4 months and it seems like a 'race to the bottom' the way they have been matching price reductions. One has to feel sorry for the sellers in this market with the stress they have to endure and the losses they will suffer. All the homes are presented excellently and other than a very poor market there is no reason why they haven't sold.
2 things pop into my mind.

1. people are realizing they don't need McMansions, they need average homes. Obviously the market is flooded with them and there is less demand.

2. Banks are being stingy.It's tougher to get loans. Truth is that selling a loan at a low interest rate is a ****ty investment. There is no motivation for the bank to own that loan. It will probably cost them more in maintenance and risk, than they will get in return. They're better off investing their money elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAL View Post
I suppose it depends on the sales price of the homes that have sold. Maybe the $200k market is hot, but I know that in my neighborhood there are 6 homes for sale, and 3 have been on the market for over 4 months and it seems like a 'race to the bottom' the way they have been matching price reductions. One has to feel sorry for the sellers in this market with the stress they have to endure and the losses they will suffer. All the homes are presented excellently and other than a very poor market there is no reason why they haven't sold.
Agreed. The 500 and up market seems to be hurting... the ones above 800 are really in a sling because even with 30% down, they're still not in jumbo range.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM

128 posts, read 283,070 times
I agree with your sentiments and it probably won't change anytime soon whilst the banks are ultra cautious on lending criteria - but people have short memories and in 5 years time it will be business as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
2 things pop into my mind.

1. people are realizing they don't need McMansions, they need average homes. Obviously the market is flooded with them and there is less demand.

2. Banks are being stingy.It's tougher to get loans. Truth is that selling a loan at a low interest rate is a ****ty investment. There is no motivation for the bank to own that loan. It will probably cost them more in maintenance and risk, than they will get in return. They're better off investing their money elsewhere.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM

103 posts, read 279,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Man if this is the best it really must suck everywhere else.
Not to come across as rude but have you been paying attention the past 4 years? I have a close friend in FL whose purchased in '06 for $330K, comps reached as high as $370K the following year however he just had it appraised 5 months ago at $185K. A family members home in New England was valued at $380K in '07, he put it on the market last year for $260K and has been reduced to $225K without any offers yet.

My point is, the real estate market is phenomenal in this area when compared to other parts of our country.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMortgageGuy View Post
Not to come across as rude but have you been paying attention the past 4 years? I have a close friend in FL whose purchased in '06 for $330K, comps reached as high as $370K the following year however he just had it appraised 5 months ago at $185K. A family members home in New England was valued at $380K in '07, he put it on the market last year for $260K and has been reduced to $225K without any offers yet.

My point is, the real estate market is phenomenal in this area when compared to other parts of our country.

Yeah, I know how bad it is other places, there is just not a smiley that I thought accuretely conveyed my sarcasm.

However, on the flip side, those places also had much larger, probably aritificial, gains than we ever did here.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 PM

103 posts, read 279,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah, I know how bad it is other places, there is just not a smiley that I thought accuretely conveyed my sarcasm.

However, on the flip side, those places also had much larger, probably aritificial, gains than we ever did here.
Your second statement is very true. As for your first sentence....point taken. I usually go with the rolling eyes but couldn't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary