Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times

Advertisements

Ok, in the words of Sally Field.

"They like me. They really like me."

RE: Update on the job situation. Between vacations, etc, just as I had thought in one of my more optimistic theories, things have dragged a bit. But I got a voice mail today (had to give son my cell phone--drat! or I would have taken that call), I'm to expect to hear something along the lines of an offer very soon.

Ok, so assuming this is a solid offer and I'm able to accept it: now the nail biting starts. Soon? How soon? What do I do w/ my oldest child? Have him start school here and transfer him mid-year? Would that screw him up for life?

Where to live? I've been vacillating between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. We will rent first but want to buy eventually. Most of you guys know the basics of our finance story so we about a year out from wanting to buy again. Hillsborough more affordable than CH/Carrboro. How different are the schools quality wise? Is it worth it to just rent longer term in CH/Carrboro for the education or do we take a hard look at finding a rental in Hillsborough with an eye to buy there.

And again...what about my son? The poor kid is in NH until next weekend. He of course knows we've been thinking about this but being a teenager and not hearing anything, I'm sure he's figuring he's "safe" and that we're staying. Given the possible tight timing, I'm starting to wonder if transferring him in mid-year is not so bad after all. Gives him time to say goodbye, wrap things up. But academically? Can he pick up his schedule where he left off (I know, the guidance counselor can answer that!). My other two kids (8th and 2nd grade) can move mid-year no problem.

INPUT, ADVICE, HAND HOLDING, PLEASE??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Once you know the district, you might call the school and review with guidance. They may be able to get the NH curriculum and see where your son is in relation to the new school.

He might even be ahead.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
Webfootma, you've mentioned before that you're from a smaller, quieter, sleepier town. If you like that atmosphere, I think you'll like Hillsborough more. If you prefer to have a wide variety of restaurants and grocery stores within 10 minutes of home, then Chapel Hill is a better option.

As for the schools, I think that's totally up to you. You've heard people say that Chapel Hill schools tend to be more competitive. If your kids tend to thrive in those sorts of situations, then CH would be for you. But if your kids have trouble with some intense pressure, Hillsborough could be better. I know you've done your research on this, so you just have to trust your gut.

I've always wondered how hard it really is for a new student who joins the district after school has started. I spent my entire youth in the same house, going to school with the same people, so I have no clue how that must feel. But it seemed to me that the new kids who moved in after school had started actually had an easier time meeting people and making friends. At the beginning of the school year there is just soooo much going on that the new kids can get lost in the shuffle. At least, that's the way it always seemed to me.

Of course, there's much more to consider than just his social life! It would be interesting to hear what the guidance counselors have to say.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 07-20-2007 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Great advice Mrs. Steel. Thank you. You're right--we are from a quiet,sleepy town. And if I want to go to a mall, it's about 15-20 min. Same for Best Buy, etc., though there is a Wal-Mart about 10 min away. We have ONE grocery store in town, though down the road the other way in the next town over (about equidistant to my house) is another grocery store. The one in the next town over is on a par with Harris Teeter and the one in my town is probably more on a par of a Kroger. We have one general store, 5 liquor stores (!!!, but we're surrounded by "dry" towns so that would explain why), a Friendly's, a Subway and a Papa Ginos and that's it for chains. Everything else is Mom-and-Pop. No commuter rail (though there is a rail line in town used by a freight train 4 times overnight--and I can tell you the exact times because I live about 1/2 mile from the line and can hear the train whistle ). We have a few restaurants and hair salons. And, as I mentioned, ONE elementary, ONE middle and ONE high school. Our high school population topped 900 for the first time last school year. But it's a very competitive school district, always up there in the top 10 in MA. Very college focused. So in that sense, it sounds as though it's more like Chapel Hill schools.

At least I've got it narrowed down to the four high schools (Chapel Hill, East Chapel Hill, Orange and Cedar Ridge). Now I think I'll just have to get down there and look around the neighborhoods, check out the feeder schools, talk to the guidance counselors (here and at each of the schools) and figure it out from there. But I do think that it would be asking the impossible to get that all done AFTER an offer comes in during August and still expect to have my son start school in September. Maybe I just got stuck on this "he has to start 11th grade where he's going to finish up" train of thought and a transfer during the year won't be so awful.

I DON'T KNOW!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,128 times
From what it sounds like, Hillsborough might be ideal for you.

Once you get down here, drive around a bit, I'm sure you will figure out which city you fall in love with the most. After that, the rest should be easy! (maybe, lol)

Just offering moral support, I know the colleges down here are really good so maybe that could be something to offer up for your son.

You know, pull the 'ol "Honey, we are just thinking about your future and want what's best for you".

Or you could just tell him the girls are cuter down here.
That worked for my neighbor's teenage boy.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post

LOL. Someone else told me to tell him that, too.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
From what it sounds like, Hillsborough might be ideal for you.

Once you get down here, drive around a bit, I'm sure you will figure out which city you fall in love with the most. After that, the rest should be easy! (maybe, lol)

Just offering moral support, I know the colleges down here are really good so maybe that could be something to offer up for your son.

You know, pull the 'ol "Honey, we are just thinking about your future and want what's best for you".

Heather, my two older boys will be right behind him! My husband has already told me about the southern women...their charm and their beauty....guess I better get busy, I have a lot of work to do...

Last edited by jeannie216; 07-20-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
I just wanted to mention that my parents moved me mid-year and it was terrible socially. Academically it was no problem, just socially. All the kids already have their routines of who they sit with at lunch and stuff like that. I would have very much preferred to move before the school year started. For a high school kid, I would also worry about missing deadlines for things like getting into band or auditioning for the play or trying out for the team or applying for editor of the paper or whatever extracurriculars are applicable in your household.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I just wanted to mention that my parents moved me mid-year and it was terrible socially. Academically it was no problem, just socially. All the kids already have their routines of who they sit with at lunch and stuff like that. I would have very much preferred to move before the school year started. For a high school kid, I would also worry about missing deadlines for things like getting into band or auditioning for the play or trying out for the team or applying for editor of the paper or whatever extracurriculars are applicable in your household.
I've noticed that down here, kids of all ages are more willing to talk to the 'new kids' because so many of them have been the new kid...some more then once.

It certainly isn't like who it was when I was in high school...where the new kids was pretty much friendless for a long period of time. It's one of the side benifits for kids down here. Chances are they aren't going to be the 'new kid' for more then week most times anyway.

Many schools also do let kids join musical groups and certainly audition for a play mid-year if they aren't all ready full...which is the real issue.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:49 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I could see a move in high school being tough, but elementary school, and possibly even middle school may have benefits moving mid year. Being the "new student" allows extra attention from the teacher and other kids in class, making the transition hopefully a bit easier. My daughter actually got a new student in her second grade class in May of this year, and the other kids were very welcoming. Additionally the teacher assigned one of the students to be a "buddy" until the student become settled, so to speak. I'm sure every situation can be different, though. How old were you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary